Help!? AOL charges me after I sent them a fax to cancel!!!

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=1984

brackis

20-10-2004 16:25:26

Does anyone have a phone #, website, email, or fax that I could contact to get the charges reversed, because I sent them a fax with all my info a month ago canceling my membership

J_west

20-10-2004 16:31:35

1 800 392 5180

joshmiao

20-10-2004 16:31:41

Reverse the charges yourself, call your creditcard company issue a chargeback. You've sent them a fax; that is enough to obtain the chargeback I think.

Tadeo

20-10-2004 19:49:34

why the hell would you cancel an online service by fax?

stinkybob

20-10-2004 19:55:03

I would never cancel a service like that without speaking to a real person. Then is $hit goes wrong, at least you have the name of someone who you talked to on their end who closed out your account.

Who knows who took something off the fax and threw it away. It's probably an ongoing joke at AOL.

[quotedcbe5806ac]Oh look. Another cancellation fax. Awww Crap. It landed on the shredder. bzzzzzzz..[/quotedcbe5806ac]

It could happen.

-Stinky

brackis

20-10-2004 20:11:10

[quotecc6ac30829="Tadeo"]why the hell would you cancel an online service by fax?[/quotecc6ac30829]

I cancelled by fax because when I did the trial for Netscape (same company) I also sent a fax and it worked without a problem.

Greasy Hamburger

20-10-2004 20:11:15

if you try to cancel (as was my experience a year ago) they keep you on the phone and try to convince you to stay. i can't imagine that they would cancel just with one request, it took me 5 times to tell the person to cancel it and i finally got pissed and raised my voice. they had tons of lawsuits a few months ago when they never canceled anybodys account and kept charging, so you're not alone. bastards

J_west

20-10-2004 20:30:33

you're so right. I tried to cancel AOL over the phone and the chick wasn't having it. She was like, "You can have three more months for free. Just don't leave us." I was weak and I still have it. lol

stinkybob

20-10-2004 20:33:23

[quotec8d2230308]I was weak and I still have it[/quotec8d2230308]

Coward!! Just kidding. Those people hammer you and wear you down on the off chance you will keep it. I just told the guy, I don't want it repeatedly. eventually he canceled it for me. I think i was on the phone for about 30 minutes.

-Stinky

Carina

20-10-2004 20:51:22

I think the best part of canceling AOL for me was when the rep found out I was a college student and said I could pay $10 a month for tutoring services. Right.... like any of them are going to know anything about dynamical systems and bifurcations. I tried to explain this to her and she said "I found pre-algebra very challenging, I can only imagine how it must be for a math major."

lifalls over laughingli

xyclonez

20-10-2004 20:57:07

[quoteb51b117e6c="Carina"]I think the best part of canceling AOL for me was when the rep found out I was a college student and said I could pay $10 a month for tutoring services. Right.... like any of them are going to know anything about dynamical systems and bifurcations. I tried to explain this to her and she said "I found pre-algebra very challenging, I can only imagine how it must be for a math major."

lifalls over laughingli[/quoteb51b117e6c]

roflmao... omg that made my day

PallarAndersVisa

20-10-2004 20:59:03

AOL isnt the same as netscape Different rules man. AOL specifically states that you have to cancel by telephone or snail mail. No where does it say you can email or fax them to cancel.

I doubt you can get these charges reversed

Relik

20-10-2004 21:00:39

[quote56bbfed7c4="xyclonez"][quote56bbfed7c4="Carina"]I think the best part of canceling AOL for me was when the rep found out I was a college student and said I could pay $10 a month for tutoring services. Right.... like any of them are going to know anything about dynamical systems and bifurcations. I tried to explain this to her and she said "I found pre-algebra very challenging, I can only imagine how it must be for a math major."

lifalls over laughingli[/quote56bbfed7c4]

roflmao... omg that made my day[/quote56bbfed7c4]

Mine too, that's pretty funny.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with this chick when I cancelled aol, she kept tellin me to give my account to a friend lol....then I went off on her and she cancelled it D

=relik

onebadtaco

20-10-2004 21:36:03

[quote860c094805="PallarAndersVisa"]AOL isnt the same as netscape Different rules man. AOL specifically states that you have to cancel by telephone or snail mail. No where does it say you can email or fax them to cancel.

I doubt you can get these charges reversed[/quote860c094805]

that is incorrect you can also fax but you must have all info correct the adress name and all that stuff you put on the fax must match what you put on the acct if you were like some of the smart assses who put john doe at 1234 anywhere ln and than fax your real name and address that wont match and they CANNOT cancel the acct. also if you miss any of the req'd info they CANNOT cancel the acct. you should belive you can cancel by fax its simple if you follow the instructions. I won't post the info here but if you try hard enough (get on aol and search using the keywords) you can cancel easily. also i think if you did aol just for fip or any other gratis site you are better off faxing cause you dont need to talk to them and as long as the info is correct they have to cancel you by law.....but make sure to have ALL the needed info including the signature..

also the charges may not be reversed but if you are nice about it and call 888-265-8003 and talk to the billing dpet 1st they should see you faxed the cancellation but were missing info and thats y you got charged and they might credit you back

Rainman

20-10-2004 22:07:29

I cancelled my account with a fax, and was hesitant because i didnt receice any kind of confirmation, but then I got a letter in the mail stating that it was cancelled