Call me crazy...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=180

tyketto

15-09-2004 17:19:20

But if so many people are switching to HP iPods, won't that just speed up the rest of us who stayed with the Apple iPod?

zatch

15-09-2004 17:20:28

Possibly... since its HP Ipod IF AVAILABLE

BlingKing

15-09-2004 17:21:57

YOUR CRAZY! Yeah, but doesn't it say for the HP(if available) so apple would ship faster because there are apparently more right?

tyketto

15-09-2004 17:24:22

Now I'm just confused... must be that 13-hour shift I put in yesterday... the majority of it braggin' to the guys in my office because my order was accepted and processing. Hey, I told them, they too can have an iPod... but they just won't believe me...

Amthx

15-09-2004 17:28:05

You might be right. You might not.

gchild320

15-09-2004 18:18:08

I thought the same thing but I wasn't gonna say anything WHEN EVERYONE IS FUCKING SWITCHING. I mean........EVERYONE SWITCH...NOW!

Icarus

15-09-2004 18:19:41

no, i think too many are staying with the apple. like me. i'd never go for the HP just cause i dont want the brand name on it.

Inferno69

15-09-2004 18:20:47

YOU ARE CRAZY AND WRONG. Just because Gratis customers switch to the HPod, doen't mean the whole world will. The original Apple 20Gb are backordered like a bitch!

gchild320

15-09-2004 18:21:54

But we're not wrong because it still moves us up in line. ;)

Evil_Prof_Frink

15-09-2004 18:27:00

Right, it's not going to be TREMENDOUSLY fast, but it will be MUCH faster than it had been, don't worry my friend, i've been preaching that since the switch became available

Inferno69

15-09-2004 18:27:06

Put it this way.
Apple has over like 1 million orders backordered, so they couldn't take it so they amde a contract with HP. Hp could make iPods but Hp would have to install iTunes into all of their new systems. Now because the HP iPod is new not many people know about it compared to the Apple version, so there not backordered.

DisastirousMurmur

15-09-2004 18:33:15

all u are wrong switch to the HP and shut up, i wanna get my apple faster ;-p

Inferno69

15-09-2004 18:44:02

When did you order?

Evil_Prof_Frink

15-09-2004 18:44:56

Right, they're still backordered, however, lets say ALL the HPs shipped out for who switched (I know not really possible) then all those 8/13s 8/10s and such who are ahead of me who get theirs, won't be ahead of me in apple line and i'll move right up there

Inferno69

15-09-2004 18:47:53

True, but you gotta consider all the other people out there.

shifuimam

15-09-2004 18:53:25

I didn't want the Apple iPod because I don't like Macs and think that Apple users are egotistical elitists. Good thing I'm getting mine HP then, eh. ;)

tyketto

15-09-2004 18:55:36

Evil Prof See, that's what I was thinking.

To be honest, I have never heard that Apple is like 1 million units behind - and I visit several of the Apple news sites. There are certainly units out there to purchase. I'm not saying that number is not true, just that I have never heard it.
The mini – yes, the mini is way backordered. But backordered or not, major suppliers like ecost (who is also PCmall and Macmall from what I can gather) is going to get their iPod shipments in a steady stream.

But apparently a lot of people switched over to HP. So no matter how you slice it, our Apple order moves up. Even if it's just 2 days, it's 2 days, right?

But hey, I really have no clue. I'm still slightly skeptical this thing is going to actually show up (but that's not stopping me from feverishly importing my CD collection into iTunes as we speak wink )

Inferno69

15-09-2004 19:17:30

if you can't stand Hp then i would stick with the apple. If your like me and don't give a shit what you get, as long as its an MP3 player that hole 5,000 songs for free, then get the HP.

tyketto

15-09-2004 19:32:27

Well, I am certainly a Mac elitist and very egotistical. Do you know how many times a week I'm bragging to my coworkers that Mac OS X has no viruses and that my system works just like its supposed to 99.9 percent of the time ?!?! I know they'd agree with you that we're very egotistical! wink

Of course us Mac users just think that Windows users are Lemmings so I guess we're even lol

Seriously, Mac users are very loyal to Apple. And despite the HPod being essentially the same, it just isn't as far as I'm concerned. I'll gladly wait for Apple's product.

BlingKing

15-09-2004 19:33:45

I got new g5 2 days ago D Its the best comp ever made. If you dont have it, its worth the money.

tyketto

16-09-2004 05:21:57

So here's a question, that kind of adds to this discussion. Do we know, on average, how many people are completing their offers in, say, a week?

shifuimam

16-09-2004 06:16:31

[quote7c1b8e2944="tyketto"]Well, I am certainly a Mac elitist and very egotistical. Do you know how many times a week I'm bragging to my coworkers that Mac OS X has no viruses and that my system works just like its supposed to 99.9 percent of the time ?!?! I know they'd agree with you that we're very egotistical! wink

Of course us Mac users just think that Windows users are Lemmings so I guess we're even lol

Seriously, Mac users are very loyal to Apple. And despite the HPod being essentially the same, it just isn't as far as I'm concerned. I'll gladly wait for Apple's product.[/quote7c1b8e2944]

I just think that's very funny. I have had zero virus, adware, or spyware problems with either of my WinXP/Pro machines. It's just a matter of knowing what your doing, as opposed to OS X, which seems to do EVERYTHING for you. Too automatic IMHO.

Of course, when people see my desktop PC[=http//tinypic.com/2tsmq]desktop PC they always think I magically got OS X to run on a Dell. D

Whatever works for you...I doubt I'll ever switch from Windows to anything else, including Linux. Although I couldn't help but laugh at a Mac user whose defense was "Macs are better because they can run Unix". Yeah. roll

gchild320

16-09-2004 08:09:57

Fuckin bomb dude...what skin program are you running?

shifuimam

16-09-2004 08:11:13

StyleXP 2.0 - cracked, of course. Skin is Panther from customize.org, if I recall correctly. Found the WinAmp skin off 1001winampskins.com and the dock is a program that you can't find online at all anymore, because Apple was going to sue the guy who created it. It's called Aqua Dock if you want to try to find it.

tyketto

16-09-2004 08:47:39

No offense, but if you think that looks even remotely like OS X, you're very mistaken.

Besides, it's not the look - it's the ease of use.

shifuimam

16-09-2004 09:02:27

LOL well shit I've used the PowerMacs on campus running the latest version of OS X and it looks pretty similar, aside from (of course) the taskbar buttons as opposed to the menu options being at the top.

I'd have to say that it looks "remotely" like a Mac. When the Start Menu isn't open, the apple looks identical to the Apple in the picture below.

http//www.waterwave.ch/weblog/images/Mac-OS-X-Screenshot.jpg

Yup....pretty dang close. Thanks for playing, though.

[edit]As far as ease of use goes, I've found that Macs are TOO automated for my preferences, and I've managed to make my desktop and my laptop my bitch pretty quickly...Windows is easy to use once you get over your irrational fear that you could never learn how do to anything on a computer besides AIM and surfing the internet. roll[/edit]

jasonbisdead

16-09-2004 09:08:50

yeeeeeeeeeah dude. I dont understand you being such a big pc supporter, but your pc looks like a mac.....

looks like a little case of mac envy. why not just buy one?

shifuimam

16-09-2004 09:13:05

No, not mac envy at all. I just like the aesthetics. And it makes people think it's a Mac, which amuses me. My laptop is similar in prettiness http//tinypic.com/2tsnr

I just like making my interfaces look good. The OS X skin has worked well for me; I haven't changed it in over 2 years.

PallarAndersVisa

16-09-2004 09:27:16

i agree, alot of times I want my desktop to look as MAC as posssible. It looks more professional

time808

16-09-2004 09:32:02

The Apple and HP Ipods are the same. So if you dont like Apple and think you're going to get a different product by getting the HPod, you're wrong. They are the same. My suggestion, if you dont like apple, then go buy the Dell or Sony Player!!!

shifuimam

16-09-2004 09:40:26

[quote66c215dbe7="PallarAndersVisa"]i agree, alot of times I want my desktop to look as MAC as posssible. It looks more professional[/quote66c215dbe7]

Yeah...the Panther look is MUCH cleaner than XP's default Luna style...it's so chunky compared to the sleek look of OS X. i noticed mister "that's not even remotely like OS X" shut up...

[quote66c215dbe7="time808"]The Apple and HP Ipods are the same. So if you dont like Apple and think you're going to get a different product by getting the HPod, you're wrong. They are the same. My suggestion, if you dont like apple, then go buy the Dell or Sony Player!!![/quote66c215dbe7]

FYI I was being facetious about hating Apple and getting an HP...it was more a mockery of people who are paranoid that the HP is somehow going to suck just because Pavilion desktops and laptops are so shitty.

tyketto

16-09-2004 11:06:00

No, I didn't shut up -- I had more important things to do than sit here all day.
But anyhow, I'll bite.

The dock looks like the doc, although I can't imagine a Mac user putting all that crap on there.

Second, the window on the left.. (the start menu) looks nothing like a Mac window. The Finder works and looks different, plus our search is integrated into each window.

Slapping Apple logos everywhere doesn't make it look like OSX.

There are no menus on the top bar.

It's not OSX if any other music player is showing except iTunes.

The font is SOOOOOOOOOO Microsoft it's sickening.

Dress it up all you want, but a Windows machine is a Windows machine is a Windows machine. You just can't take the Microsoft out of it no matter how you try.

Hey, you say you've tried both and like your Microsoft product better. That's cool. But why pretend you're operating a Mac when you can just go buy the real thing? You say OS X does too much automatically. Sure, if you only use the graphic interface it does. But the "power users" tap into the Unix under the hood to do all sorts of crazy stuff.

Hey, I have a fully-functioning Apache Web server built right into my OS. Not exactly novice stuff.

I have developers tools right on my system. Not exactly novice stuff.

As you said before, it's personal choice. That's fine. But I still say your Mac-inspired Windows setup (oh wait, ALL Windows is Mac-inspired) doesn't resemble OS X.

But hey, I'm an Apple zealot, proud of it, and am quite biased on the subject .

wink

tyketto

16-09-2004 12:20:00

I just want to add I hope you realize I'm just playing the role of the Mac zealot and saying everything in a fun-like, jestful nature. I'm not being serious - well maybe just a little ) )

shifuimam

16-09-2004 12:44:52

[quotee702dd6d61="tyketto"]No, I didn't shut up -- I had more important things to do than sit here all day.
But anyhow, I'll bite.

The dock looks like the doc, although I can't imagine a Mac user putting all that crap on there.

Second, the window on the left.. (the start menu) looks nothing like a Mac window. The Finder works and looks different, plus our search is integrated into each window.

Slapping Apple logos everywhere doesn't make it look like OSX.

There are no menus on the top bar.

It's not OSX if any other music player is showing except iTunes.

The font is SOOOOOOOOOO Microsoft it's sickening.

Dress it up all you want, but a Windows machine is a Windows machine is a Windows machine. You just can't take the Microsoft out of it no matter how you try.

Hey, you say you've tried both and like your Microsoft product better. That's cool. But why pretend you're operating a Mac when you can just go buy the real thing? You say OS X does too much automatically. Sure, if you only use the graphic interface it does. But the "power users" tap into the Unix under the hood to do all sorts of crazy stuff.

Hey, I have a fully-functioning Apache Web server built right into my OS. Not exactly novice stuff.

I have developers tools right on my system. Not exactly novice stuff.

As you said before, it's personal choice. That's fine. But I still say your Mac-inspired Windows setup (oh wait, ALL Windows is Mac-inspired) doesn't resemble OS X.

But hey, I'm an Apple zealot, proud of it, and am quite biased on the subject .

wink[/quotee702dd6d61]

You crack me up. What I was referring to was the "not even remotely" part of your comment. Out of everyone that has ever used my computer, only one person has NOT said "Holy shit how did you get Mac to run on a Dell". It's very similar at first glance. No SHIT there's no finder bar and there is a Start Menu...it's Windows for chrissake. I LIKE windows. I LOVE XP. my computers make me happier than a Mac could ever hope to.

Fortunately, I don't care what you say, and i still <3 my themes - desktop and laptop computers. I was just posting during Econ because it was more interesting than paying attention.

Oh, PS, no I don't pretend I'm using a mac. I like the sleek look of my Panther theme compared to Luna or most styleXP themes out there. It's just an appearance thing.

And I'm a DOS power user so I know all about that BS. I still like Windows better. Long live Microsoft. At least my desktop only cost me $200 brand new, instead of $2300.