Additional iPod manufacturing capacity...

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=1374

kpfeif

08-10-2004 07:38:14

I just saw on http//www.thinksecret.com/news/0409ipododm.html[]http//www.thinksecret.com/news/0409ipododm.html that another ODM has signed on to manufacture iPods. Additionally, both Hitachi and Toshiba have increased production capacity for the iPod (and mini) hard drives.

While this may not have an immediate impact to us, it should make things a bit quicker over the next month or two. Is this a Christmas increase in production move? Perhaps, although I would imagine that should have already ramped up manufacturing for the holidays.

DIGITALgimpus

08-10-2004 08:09:08

Actually might make it harder for some.

Typically, if a new model is coming, the supply of current models go down so retailers can clear out the old inventory before the new comes in. Because after the release everyone wants the new version... and the old one sits in the store (inventory costs money). As a result, apple tappers off towards a release.

If the release is true, it would be scheduled for early Nov. as that's typical of Apple... which means production on the current models would start dropping off very soon.

That's actually bad news.

That would explain the report of Apple ramping up production though... if a new model is being released...

Though that would mean a few here may actually find themselves updated to a next-gen iPod.... if you ordered pretty recently.

kpfeif

08-10-2004 08:24:39

If they were rolling out new 20gb, 40gb, or even 60gb & 80gb models, I would agree, however the new one they're rolling out is a 80gb unit that offers photos, as well. It's not a direct replacement to any of the current models. Now, if they are coming out with audio-only units, I would agree, however, given that they're ramping up production of both the hard drives for and the 20gb and 40gb audio units themselves. I think they're looking to meet market demand for the current iPods. I don't believe there's been any announcement to stop making audio-only units.

Given that many of their competitors are trying to beat Apple as far as functionality and price-point, I don't think we'll see Apple pull their iPods any time soon. Bigger drives? Sure, but I think we'll continue to see audio-only machines for a while. Changing models at this time, this close to the holdidays would be unwise. Expect the current batch of iPods to be on of the top-selling electronic devices this Christmas. Apple wouldn't introduce any supply hiccups at this time...too much money (an estimated $100-$175 margin on EACH iPod) to be made.

tk

08-10-2004 08:25:56

[quoteeff605dc8b="DIGITALgimpus"]Actually might make it harder for some.

Typically, if a new model is coming, the supply of current models go down so retailers can clear out the old inventory before the new comes in. Because after the release everyone wants the new version... and the old one sits in the store (inventory costs money). As a result, apple tappers off towards a release.

If the release is true, it would be scheduled for early Nov. as that's typical of Apple... which means production on the current models would start dropping off very soon.

That's actually bad news.

That would explain the report of Apple ramping up production though... if a new model is being released...

Though that would mean a few here may actually find themselves updated to a next-gen iPod.... if you ordered pretty recently.[/quoteeff605dc8b]

Did i miss the part when they said they were releasing a new model ipod?

tyketto

08-10-2004 08:32:45

They aren't replacing the current 4G units, they're just adding a top tier to it - a 60GB with color screen for photos.
Apple is gearing up to produce 1 million iPod units per month. These will definitely be 20 and 40 GB models since it includes the hp models as well.

DisastirousMurmur

08-10-2004 09:13:42

what??? where did u find that a new model is coming out, and how do u know its gonna be 60 GB and a color LCD?

tyketto

08-10-2004 09:31:42

www.thinksecret.com

DisastirousMurmur

08-10-2004 09:47:09

"As an added bonus for music fans, album artwork will be displayed on screen when it's available for a selected track."

thats teh only good thing about that new ipod, everything else isnt really worth 500$, y would i wanna spend 200$ more for just looking at pictures, although the 60 GB is really good, but i only have 9 GB of music and theres nothing realy good coming out lately. So it will take a while for me to fill up my 20 GB thats GOING to come (i hope)

tyketto

08-10-2004 10:30:59

I think there may be more to it that's not being announced yet - perhaps video of some sort?

fresh27

08-10-2004 10:49:39

Uh... It has a full color screen meaning color menus, backgrounds, album covers, etc... Compare a modern Palm to a Palm from 4 years ago. Big difference and things today look much better.

It's only $100 more than the 40GB iPod.

20GB -> 40GB = $100 extra

40GB -> 60GB + color screen + video output + photo album, etc = $100 extra

It's a good deal. I want one ( But I probably won't be allowed to make a new account if Gratis ever starts a site for this. The battery life might be really really low as well, unless Apple is using a new type of battery now.

tyketto

08-10-2004 11:00:19

Kind of related for those interested. Word is Apple is also ready to launch a low-end iPod. Found this on Macdailynews.com
"Unlike Apple's hugely popular iPod and iPod Mini players, the new player would use solid-state flash memory, which has less capacity but can make for a lighter, cheaper player."
If this is true, Apple will have just about sealed their domination of the market.

DIGITALgimpus

08-10-2004 12:18:23

Most reports indicate the drive manufacturing is moving toward 60GB...

there's limited production capabilities on the drives, that's why production is slow.

While they ramp up the 60's, that means less 40's, and especially 20's being made.

The other pull is on the 4GB (mini's).

Apple isn't likely to add another iPod to the line... something is being dropped. Most likely the 20. The 40 would replace, and the 60 would be top... Steve Jobs has made a point to keep apple's product line slim. As it is, with mini's (multiple color options), and 2 iPods... it's further than he's ever been comfortable with.

Apple's business plan is especially based on keeping inventory slim. Having an extra model means more inventory (higher cost). Not likely.

Don't forget Apple's due for a product change on the powerbook and iBook lines... that's even more retooling.

Adding an extra iPod has about a 3-5% chance of happen. Odds are 1 is being dropped. The mini is very popular, so that's not it. The 40 GB has also been popular. The 20, slightly less. My bet is the 20 goes. But it's possible it's the 40.

Having 5 mini's, and 3 regular's would be rather odd of apple's business plan.

BlingKing

08-10-2004 12:42:37

Thats all cool... but 60 gigs! and $500! I'd rather be able to store pictures on my 20 gig that i'll soon get.

tyketto

08-10-2004 12:47:16

I have to totally disagree. They are not going to price themselves out of the game by dropping the 20GB. You're forgetting that Apple just hired more company to make hard drives.

daveyiv

08-10-2004 12:51:13

I agree, even the 20GB is really expensive for a simple mp3 player and a lot of people wouldn't want to spend that much money on something like this. Also, the majority of people will never use the full 20GB capacity on that player.

DIGITALgimpus

08-10-2004 13:19:29

[quote9141b24bed="tyketto"]I have to totally disagree. They are not going to price themselves out of the game by dropping the 20GB. You're forgetting that Apple just hired more company to make hard drives.[/quote9141b24bed]
The goal of the mini is to replace the 20GB ultimatley.

The mini is ultimately going to be remodeled as a flash drive.. The announcement Apple signed up for a chipeset for flash capabilities was last week.

By moving the mini's to flash, they achieve a whole new audience lower cost, easier to produce mini's. Great for teens, and those who don't need to much storage (the prime audience right now)... advantage Lower cost.

The 20GB drive is not really much cheaper than the 40GB... a problem Apple has been having is getting suppplies of both. By minimizing the variety they need to keep in stock (and the variety that they need to have manufactured for them), they optimize their production.

People said the same thing about the 10GB... the 20GB steped in and took over... nobody cried.

Flash will take over the mini... making it cheaper, and easier to produce. It also makes it better for 'active' people. Small, long battery life, cheap. Perfect for it's audience.

40 GB, 60 GB iPods.

That way the lineup is concise, meets the consumer demand, and keeps production costs under control. Not to mention means easier to keep up with demand. wink

tyketto

08-10-2004 13:56:33

Hey, you definitely have good analytical skills, so I'll keep an open mind. I still don't see why they would change so quickly. I think that if they do the redesign of the mini with flash and make them cheap, the things will be unbelievably successful.
But to go from a cheap unit to a $399 unit with nothing in between is a bit much, unless Apple plans to lower the 40GB price. I would assume Apple would want a lower end HD model since they probably make a good profit on them.

Hasshaus

08-10-2004 14:46:26

How much data will the Flash Mini have? I better get the 4GB mini soon!!!

DIGITALgimpus

08-10-2004 15:35:17

[quotefef47e243d="tyketto"]Hey, you definitely have good analytical skills, so I'll keep an open mind. I still don't see why they would change so quickly. I think that if they do the redesign of the mini with flash and make them cheap, the things will be unbelievably successful.
But to go from a cheap unit to a $399 unit with nothing in between is a bit much, unless Apple plans to lower the 40GB price. I would assume Apple would want a lower end HD model since they probably make a good profit on them.[/quotefef47e243d]
I'm going to guess the 40GB will replace the 20GB . Just like there used to be a 10GB in that slot. The 60GB model will replace and be slightly more expensive than the 40 currently is.

So the lineup woudl be
$99-$200 depending on the model of the mini (various capacities)
$299 - 40 GB iPod, monocrome display
$399 - 60 GB iPod, color display

I wouldn't be suprised if they even offer iTunes gift certificate bundles with the mini's. But a mini, and get 50 tunes.

[quotefef47e243d="Hasshaus"]How much data will the Flash Mini have? I better get the 4GB mini soon!!![/quotefef47e243d]
Flash is becoming cheaper to do in larger quantities, but typically it's < 1GB. Though there are exceptions.

Apple's been known to take technology to a new limit. It's possible they do have a 4GB high end flash... I doubt it. At least initially.

Malkavian^C^

08-10-2004 16:59:33

[quote979db81275="fresh27"]Uh... It has a full color screen meaning color menus, backgrounds, album covers, etc... Compare a modern Palm to a Palm from 4 years ago. Big difference and things today look much better.

It's only $100 more than the 40GB iPod.

20GB -> 40GB = $100 extra

40GB -> 60GB + color screen + video output + photo album, etc = $100 extra

It's a good deal. I want one ( But I probably won't be allowed to make a new account if Gratis ever starts a site for this. The battery life might be really really low as well, unless Apple is using a new type of battery now.[/quote979db81275]

It's really only a good deal for a narrow market. My digital camera can already display pictures and video, and I can buy an attachment to funnel those pics onto an iPod for bulk storage if I so chose (and may very well take advantage of, I can't afford a ton of CF memory)

I can't think of a group who would seriously find this useful especially considering the pricetag. NTM the color screen just means batteries drain faster.

tyketto

08-10-2004 17:53:37

It's preemptive against Microsuck's "multimedia" player... that's my guess.

DIGITALgimpus

08-10-2004 18:48:27

[quote8e8a32f57b="Malkavian^C^"]I can't think of a group who would seriously find this useful especially considering the pricetag. NTM the color screen just means batteries drain faster.[/quote8e8a32f57b]
That really depends on the screen itself.

If Apple's smart, there will be a brightness, and the screen will go off after a minute or two of no touching. Then when you touch it, it goes back on.

That would save a lot of power right there.