Gratis and Me: The fight for an iPod

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=13735

bizdog

07-05-2005 15:01:30

Here's the full story of why my iPod was over a month late. The beginning part of my story is the same as everyone's - everything went smoothly up through STV, with about a week - two weeks in between each advance. Typical, typical, and like most Gratis newbies, I was worried at each step.

Well, I did the trick where you search DHL by reference using your iPod reference number - and before long, a shipment popped up on DHL! My freeiPod.com account status wasn't upgraded to SHIPPED yet, but DHL said it was estimated delivery of 4/18/05 (though it hadn't been picked up for delivery yet). Woo!

But as the days passed, the DHL info wasn't to having been picked up yet. DHL told me that as soon as the package went out from the shipper, eFulfillment, my account would be updated - but so far, nothing.

Then, my iPod status changed to SHIPPED. Yet, DHL swore it hadn't shipped.

Hmmmm....

So after waiting a week, i sent a letter through the freeipods.com customer service contact box. I got a form letter saying they "couldn't say when exactly it would arrive." I sent another few letters, but no response other than "someone with customer service will get back to you."

Two weeks later, my iPod hadn't shipped, though my status still said SHIPPED. So I did two things to fix the problem.

First, I email=ed the efulfillment help desk at email=helpdesk@efulfillmentservice.comhelpdesk@efulfillmentservice.comed the efulfillment help desk at email=helpdesk@efulfillmentservice.comhelpdesk@efulfillmentservice.com/email, even though I believe Gratis doesn't want us bothering them.

Also, I received an email from a guy at Gratis asking if I wanted to be in a freeipods.com commercial they were shooting in New York. I said sure, though first i'd really like to actually get a free ipod.

At this point, both Gratis and efulfillment jumped to work to figure out what went wrong. It turned out that there had been a mix-up, and efulfillment had released several tracking numbers prior to their having been shipped (it seems that they then forgot about those tracking numbers).

They shipped out a new ipod in less than a week, and I've got it on my desk now.

Anyway, overall great experience, with the only major problem being that their site-based customer service contact is absolute crap (i never received a response to any of my letters). If you get into a situation where it looks like there's been a mess up, dont wait around - either contact Gratis or eFulfillment directly.

And the proof

http//www.nickcarr.com/lj/gotipod.jpg[" alt=""/img469cf1982b]

And I'm out.

cartrenroy

07-05-2005 15:37:17

What about the commercial - are we going to see you on TV or something

aguy

07-05-2005 15:46:15

ya are u gonna be a TV star?

bizdog

07-05-2005 20:20:13

They sent an email out to a lot New Yorkers, but according the person I've been emailing at Gratis, they didn't get enough of a response from people. They said they'd contact me if things change.

bsi4063

07-05-2005 20:22:51

my friend would wana do it, he received his in aug 04

Vector

07-05-2005 23:13:47

you look really happy

mnx12

07-05-2005 23:44:13

Can I ask how old you are?

cartrenroy

08-05-2005 08:33:36

[quote52c836de04="mnx12"]Can I ask how old you are?[/quote52c836de04]

My Guess

Around 23

JerseyEd25

08-05-2005 09:58:28

if you were able to track your package on dhl.com with your order number, that means it was shipped. Only way you will have it in the shipping system is if it gets scanned. The first scan is done at pick up of the product. Even if a tracking number is generated, does not mean anything.

tennis8363

08-05-2005 11:35:19

Actually Jerseyed, your incorrect on this one.

Companies that have accounts with shipping companies such as DHL or UPS have a computer system where they enter the package info and print the labels.

Once the package info is entered into the system a tracking number is produced and you are able to view this online. Efulfillment has a pickup schedule with DHL and the package will not mark shipped until the DHL driver picks up their daily packages and scans them in.

bizdog

08-05-2005 18:34:00

1) not only was it in DHL, it was in twice - search for my Ipod account and you got two different tracking numbers, both with my address, both with "FREE20IPOD" as the contents description. Both were entered at the distributor's end, as tennis explained - but neither were ever picked up. Neither ever arrived.

2) you're right, i should look happier. but it was a really crappy day out.

3) im 22, whats up with that question mnx?

JerseyEd25

08-05-2005 19:05:16

[quoted24e43bb5a="tennis8363"]Actually Jerseyed, your incorrect on this one.

Companies that have accounts with shipping companies such as DHL or UPS have a computer system where they enter the package info and print the labels.

Once the package info is entered into the system a tracking number is produced and you are able to view this online. Efulfillment has a pickup schedule with DHL and the package will not mark shipped until the DHL driver picks up their daily packages and scans them in.[/quoted24e43bb5a]

Even tho the tracking number is produced, does not mean it will get shipped. Call up DHL/UPS/FedEx and ask them about this. There needs to be an actual scan by the shipping company.

bizdog

09-05-2005 11:28:03

well right...but i got the ipod! so it's cool! all is fixed.