What happens if you get multiple free items

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=1365

EpidemiK

07-10-2004 22:25:57

This is my friend, not me.

http/" alt=""/img17.exs.cx/img="17/1984/gratisemail.gif[" alt=""/img41b1ac7229]

xyclonez

07-10-2004 22:26:43

[quotea2cf795854="EpidemiK"]This is my friend, not me.

http/" alt=""/img13.exs.cx/img="13/1984/gratisemail.gif[" alt=""/imga2cf795854][/quotea2cf795854]

wat did he do

EpidemiK

07-10-2004 22:27:15

Read thread title

"What happens if you get multiple free items"

xyclonez

07-10-2004 22:28:42

[quote02ffab41c2="EpidemiK"]Read thread title

"What happens if you get multiple free items"[/quote02ffab41c2]

i know that but i mean what did he do exactly.. like did he make like 10 accounts or something

EpidemiK

07-10-2004 22:29:12

No he got multiple ipods and flatscreens

xyclonez

07-10-2004 22:29:57

[quote308edcbb09="EpidemiK"]No he got multiple ipods and flatscreens[/quote308edcbb09]

he only got 2 of each?

mushybubbler

07-10-2004 22:52:14

Woah that sucks.....

I think we've all learned a lesson here....... dont get caught!

Jk.

hacktek

07-10-2004 23:14:15

Looks like your friend is fucked

liliDuck and runlili

ZJamaican

08-10-2004 00:32:51

fawk that sucks, now honestly what do you think gratis is going to to do. Also how did he get caught, how many ipods or flatscreens has he received. Were his referrals legit or did he make multiple accounts and fake referrals?

joshmiao

08-10-2004 00:36:02

pwned. sadly.

Edit

Go UCB!

Guardian

08-10-2004 02:26:46

what UC is this ?

moose

08-10-2004 03:42:06

university of cali.

link626

08-10-2004 04:12:40

berkeley baby! yeah

go bears.

I wonder if this fool has a bunch of TV's in his dorm room or apt or whatever. Gotta be nice to be able to watch 5 channels at once.

At second glance, this email is odd. How did they know the culprit was part of the Rescomp staff? Seems like some bastard snitched on him.

tyketto

08-10-2004 05:27:01

The first line has a typo. Not very professional.

sootroom

08-10-2004 05:35:58

The university will either do nothing or take a hard stance against gratis and not allow any email or network traffic to them.

Either way, this is bad for gratis because the first scenario would leave gratis high and dry and the second scenario takes a hard-line stance against gratis and will hurt their business due to other unversities following suit.

If that letter is real it's a very bad decision on gratis' part, IMHO. Gratis should have just pursued the indivdual without contacting the university. Now just to be safe, universities will start filtering traffic to gratis on their firewalls. The same thing happened when music companies started complaining about kazaa.

Ray_Haque

08-10-2004 05:50:07

[quotee06fc4a982="sootroom"]Now just to be safe, universities will start filtering traffic to gratis on their firewalls. The same thing happened when music companies started complaining about kazaa.[/quotee06fc4a982]

Yeah ... but ... Kazaa is utterly illegal. There are probably 12 out of a few million songs available that are truely "free" and the rest are bootlegged.

There is nothing illegal about Gratis.

Gratis is going through the University, because he was using University accounts to do his dirty work. If they attack him personally, they could spend thousands just trying to drag him into court. It would be a waste of time and money. They just want the abuse to stop. The university Admins will probably be fine with helping Gratis to stop the abuse of their own network. And then Gratis can be done with the loser who is robbing them blind.

-Ray

matpic

08-10-2004 06:01:15

yeah -- i gotta say i don't blame gratis at all. they guy is totally scamming them and thats just wrong.

xyclonez

08-10-2004 06:18:39

why not just tell the guy to return the items..

matpic

08-10-2004 06:24:52

[quote9804720c47="xyclonez"]why not just tell the guy to return the items..[/quote9804720c47]

Yeah, i'm sure they did that. They say in the letter that they are in contact with Mr. XXX to try to resolve the matter.

My guess is that he has sold all the extra stuff he's got. I mean, what are you gonna do with 6 ipods? And he probably has already spent the cash he got for them.

I do sorta feel bad for gratis. They are a company and they need to make money, like everyone else.

BUT -- what pisses me off the most -- is that this guy who has extra ipods IS SLOWING THIS DOWN! If he wouldn't have stolen extra ipods, then gratis would be that many more ahead on the backorders. I might have even recieved mine by now.

xyclonez

08-10-2004 06:48:03

[quote11b83fd25e="matpic"][quote11b83fd25e="xyclonez"]why not just tell the guy to return the items..[/quote11b83fd25e]

Yeah, i'm sure they did that. They say in the letter that they are in contact with Mr. XXX to try to resolve the matter.

My guess is that he has sold all the extra stuff he's got. I mean, what are you gonna do with 6 ipods? And he probably has already spent the cash he got for them.

I do sorta feel bad for gratis. They are a company and they need to make money, like everyone else.

BUT -- what pisses me off the most -- is that this guy who has extra ipods IS SLOWING THIS DOWN! If he wouldn't have stolen extra ipods, then gratis would be that many more ahead on the backorders. I might have even recieved mine by now.[/quote11b83fd25e]

But gratis still makes money on the referrals he got. And they make money on his offers too since its a different offer everytime.

sootroom

08-10-2004 08:06:52

[quotee17e8b0082="xyclonez"][quotee17e8b0082="matpic"][quotee17e8b0082="xyclonez"]why not just tell the guy to return the items..[/quotee17e8b0082]

BUT -- what pisses me off the most -- is that this guy who has extra ipods IS SLOWING THIS DOWN! If he wouldn't have stolen extra ipods, then gratis would be that many more ahead on the backorders. I might have even recieved mine by now.[/quotee17e8b0082]

But gratis still makes money on the referrals he got. And they make money on his offers too since its a different offer everytime.[/quotee17e8b0082]

Assuming he didn't commit any fraud to get referrals. Even if gratis got paid, fraud still hurts the reationship between them and it's sponsors

matpic

08-10-2004 11:15:54

[quotee6502f62ea="xyclonez"]But gratis still makes money on the referrals he got. And they make money on his offers too since its a different offer everytime.[/quotee6502f62ea]

I have a feeling that he made fake accounts to create fake referals and that is where the problem is.

hacktek

08-10-2004 13:37:17

Whatever he did, he just got pwned

Hasshaus

08-10-2004 15:15:10

he was probably doing this so he can resell it on campus and make some huge bank twisted

PallarAndersVisa

08-10-2004 15:37:57

looks fake

btvsrocks

08-10-2004 16:24:31

[quote1347bf4048="PallarAndersVisa"]looks fake[/quote1347bf4048]

Yeah, I concur.

The lack of proper punctuation (i.e. where there's a comma before and after including) and typos. Not to mention the excessive "in fact's'".

Plus why is it that in the 2nd image, it has the email link to a Berkeley email but then under it says University of California?? ?

ironbeamz

08-10-2004 17:51:43

I think you guys aren't interpreting what is written correctly... What is wrong with making separate accounts and legitimately getting referrals? Nothing. What he was doing is most likely using different computers in the school to sign up for offers, since each computer has a different IP address. For example, go into a computer lab, and using only 6 different computers, you can get a free ipod. I have spoken to one of the owners of Gratis Internet, Peter Martin. I have multiple accounts, and have gotten him probably about 15-20 referrals so far. He not only didn't threaten me, but he thanked me for my referrals.

Think about it

eglchick

08-10-2004 18:29:54

note that fake or not, the letter refers to a "member of your staff" and a "work address", meaning that this person is not necessarily a student, and rather an employee of the university. so, it's a bit more understandable that the university would be contacted, as its an employer.

hacktek

08-10-2004 19:06:18

[quote52726faebc="ironbeamz"]I think you guys aren't interpreting what is written correctly... What is wrong with making separate accounts and legitimately getting referrals? Nothing. What he was doing is most likely using different computers in the school to sign up for offers, since each computer has a different IP address. For example, go into a computer lab, and using only 6 different computers, you can get a free ipod. I have spoken to one of the owners of Gratis Internet, Peter Martin. I have multiple accounts, and have gotten him probably about 15-20 referrals so far. He not only didn't threaten me, but he thanked me for my referrals.

Think about it[/quote52726faebc]

What are you talking about dude? You can only get [b52726faebc]ONE[/size52726faebc][/b52726faebc] free item from each of the referral based sites!

btvsrocks

08-10-2004 20:58:38

[quoteb1fc538984="ironbeamz"] I have spoken to one of the owners of Gratis Internet, Peter Martin. I have multiple accounts, and have gotten him probably about 15-20 referrals so far. He not only didn't threaten me, but he thanked me for my referrals.

Think about it[/quoteb1fc538984]

RIGHT..... so you personally "spoke to Peter Martin" (how exactly, is questionable) and he's like "SURE MAKE A BUNCH OF ACCOUNTS SO YOU CAN GET A BUNCH OF REFERRALS FOR EACH ACCOUNT... THEN WE CAN SEND YOU, AT YOUR MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS, IPODS FOR EACH ACCOUNT! THANK YOU THANK YOU". roll

hacktek

08-10-2004 23:21:55

Oh, btw...if u DO have multiple accounts, i hope all of them get placed on hold...the system works just fine without people like you

joshmiao

08-10-2004 23:24:33

[quotee18bd550a2="btvsrocks"][quotee18bd550a2="PallarAndersVisa"]looks fake[/quotee18bd550a2]

Yeah, I concur.

The lack of proper punctuation (i.e. where there's a comma before and after including) and typos. Not to mention the excessive "in fact's'".

Plus why is it that in the 2nd image, it has the email link to a Berkeley email but then under it says University of California?? ?[/quotee18bd550a2]

Because you motherfucking dumbass Berkeley is within the University of California system. Its UC Berkeley- University of California Berkeley

Guardian

09-10-2004 00:50:37

lol Berkeley IS in California!!

JMillion

09-10-2004 03:32:04

ahahaha

moose

09-10-2004 11:07:17

test

btvsrocks

09-10-2004 12:10:37

[quotec4a4fe3c03="joshmiao"][quotec4a4fe3c03="btvsrocks"][quotec4a4fe3c03="PallarAndersVisa"]looks fake[/quotec4a4fe3c03]

Yeah, I concur.

Plus why is it that in the 2nd image, it has the email link to a Berkeley email but then under it says University of California?? ?[/quotec4a4fe3c03]

Because you motherfucking dumbass Berkeley is within the University of California system. Its UC Berkeley- University of California Berkeley[/quotec4a4fe3c03]

I simply asked a question, what jumped up your ass? ?

Besides, I don't even live in the States... I had NO idea University of California has Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, UCLA, etc ... it seems to be a way different system than here.

nerys

09-10-2004 18:43:03

Actually I have a problem with that letter from gratis if its real. hey by all means go after this guy with everything you got. but you threaten me and you have a problem with me (me as in a third party UNRELATED to fradulent acts of some other party)

ie maybe it just me but that letters if sent to me and me being the univesity sounds an AWFUL lot like a threat. and THAT would really piss me off.

where does gratis (ASSUMING they wrote this letter) get off threatening the university. ??

for that reason I a betting the letter is a fake.

Chris Taylor
http//www.nerys.com/

ironbeamz

09-10-2004 23:26:18

Yes, I spoke to him via email, it was actually for a school project. And also, to anyone who is retarded enough to think so, give me one good reason why a company would restrict their customers to doing business with them one time and one time only. Heres an example you might be able to comprehend when your at your lemonade stand, would you rather somebody buy one glass or two or 3? Given that with each glass they drink, they tell 5 more friends to try out your lemonade. It's called building a solid customer base. Restricting customers? Go back to junior high school. cry

nerys

09-10-2004 23:39:30

actually the reasoning is quite logical. vendors are not paying for ipods. they are paying for CUSTOMERS. NEW and UNIQUE customers. LONG TERM customers. NOT one offs looking to get ipods.

freeipods.com does not want you as a customer. the VENDORS do. freeipods wants you to buy form vendors and the CONDITIONS the vendors set are unique potential long term customers.

the same person abusing the process to get ipods is NOT what the vendors want. if the vendors do not get what they want they will stop paying freeipods.com and freeipods.com will therfore stop giving out ipods.

what part of that is unclear? I will gladly explain it further.

Myinks is not getting you an ipods. they are getting you ink. Blockbuster is not getting you and ipod they are getting you dvd's etc.. etc.. etc..

FREEIPODS.COM is getting y ou an ipods in exchange for GETTING CUSTOMERS for vendors that are PAYING freeipods.com for exactly that. you getting them customers.

once you are a customer freeipods is NO LONGER interested in you. they ahve PERFORMED there assigned task fro the vendors. they got you as a potential customer.

you want to buy mroe stuff fine go ahead and continue to be a customer. at THIS point freeipods no longer WANTS you as a customer because from now on you will COST them money by reducing the effectiveness of THERE job that there vendors are paying them for.

Chris Taylor
http//www.nerys.com/

hacktek

10-10-2004 02:42:50

[quote1eb195cd48="nerys"]actually the reasoning is quite logical. vendors are not paying for ipods. they are paying for CUSTOMERS. NEW and UNIQUE customers. LONG TERM customers. NOT one offs looking to get ipods.

freeipods.com does not want you as a customer. the VENDORS do. freeipods wants you to buy form vendors and the CONDITIONS the vendors set are unique potential long term customers.

the same person abusing the process to get ipods is NOT what the vendors want. if the vendors do not get what they want they will stop paying freeipods.com and freeipods.com will therfore stop giving out ipods.

Myinks is not getting you an ipods. they are getting you ink. Blockbuster is not getting you and ipod they are getting you dvd's etc.. etc.. etc..

FREEIPODS.COM is getting y ou an ipods in exchange for GETTING CUSTOMERS for vendors that are PAYING freeipods.com for exactly that. you getting them customers.

once you are a customer freeipods is NO LONGER interested in you. they ahve PERFORMED there assigned task fro the vendors. they got you as a potential customer.

you want to buy mroe stuff fine go ahead and continue to be a customer. at THIS point freeipods no longer WANTS you as a customer because from now on you will COST them money by reducing the effectiveness of THERE job that there vendors are paying them for.

Chris Taylor
http//www.nerys.com/[/quote1eb195cd48]

Excelent mouth closing reply to a dumbass who just doesn't seem to understand the concept. +Karma

tyketto

10-10-2004 06:41:39

I just can't get past the poor grammar and punctuation. Having mess ups on a forum is acceptable because we all type responses so quickly... having a letter that goes out to an employer with such things is not professional.
If Gratis wrote this letter, they should be ashamed.

As for turning down business, on one hand, of course Gratis wants all the money it can make. On the other hand, it set rules for a reason. If its advertisers do not make money in the long term, Gratis loses them. If Gratis really wants to make money, they would limit fraud as much as they could so their advertisers, who make them money, keep coming back. It doesn't help them to knowingly allow fraudulent accounts. Sure they make more money in the short term, but lose out in the long term. That's just good business sense.

xyclonez

10-10-2004 09:19:28

If the referrals he got were unique, then gratis is making money off of them and those can be potential customers.

ironbeamz

10-10-2004 10:36:09

[quoted9c9e7a57b="nerys"]actually the reasoning is quite logical. vendors are not paying for ipods. they are paying for CUSTOMERS. NEW and UNIQUE customers. LONG TERM customers. NOT one offs looking to get ipods.

Chris Taylor
http//www.nerys.com/[/quoted9c9e7a57b]

are YOU defending yourself BECAUSE you CANNOT get more THAN five unique rEFFERals?!!!!!11111one

Listen to yourself. If there was only one offer on the gratis website, then it would be a different story. Is it not possible to use ancestry.com, and use diet pills as well? You are comparing apples to oranges. By your judgment, a person cannot have two products at the same time. Can I not have a cell phone and a refrigerator? Can I not have a digital camera and a dorito? Can i not have a hat and a plunger? What I am doing is getting 100% unique referrals on my college campus.

Go back to my post about your lemonade stand. After your Mommy makes you the lemonade, you sell it for 25 cents a cup. Given, that each cup a customer drinks, they must tell five unique friends about it, and they will try it too. Do a little math, and stop being jealous about people who have enough brain cells to figure out ways to get more referrals.

Also - when you learn how to write well, you wont have to capitalize words to get your point across. By 8th grade you should learn.

nerys

10-10-2004 14:55:28

well I graduated 10 years ago. if you do not like my sloppy typing no one is forcing you to read it. get over yourself.

what part of UNIQUE customers do you not understand.

they are not looking for SALES specifically. they are looking for UNIQUE customers. once they have you as a customer you are NO LONGER there objective. since you are well A CUSTOMER now get it ?

if you really want another ipod get one of your friends that helped you get an ipod to work it. ie you help him get 5 friends to sign up in exchange you get the ipod. ie you help him or her complete there offers etc.. with 5 more unique people off course.

if you happen to be able to get a LOT of people to sign up you deplete resources that others could be using to get there ipods etc...

on top of this this is an entirely MOOT issue. its there ball game and there rules. if you do not like it do not play the game.

but since you ARE in the game you AGREED to there set of rules. therfore you are committing FRAUD by the definition of THERE rules if you try to get more than 1 ipod. period. end of discussion.

Chris Taylor
http//www.nerys.com/

ironbeamz

11-10-2004 07:55:59

i understand the terms and conditions of the website. All I'm saying is, I still am making them money... this is part of my emails with Peter Martin...

"Within 1 week" ............. "I have received 15+ total offers, and am awaiting my first TV and first Ipod. Hopefully there will be plenty more to come."

His response has been deleted by my computer already, but trust me, he did thank me for it. Enough debate though, just enjoy your free Ipod, whenever they come.

nerys

11-10-2004 08:09:52

its just that this is not about making money from you. its about making money from the vendors. if you jepordize that then all the people whio have yet to try freeipods.com lose out since they will have to stop doing this if the vendors pull out.

thats all I am saying. respect the system and it will work.

Chris Taylor
http//www.nerys.com/

nerys

11-10-2004 08:14:00

FYI Ironbeamz I have 6 referrals. I have not gotten anymore because I do not NEED anymore. 2 of the people I signed up expressed some interest in also trying to do this. if I sign more people up that is one less person that one of my friends can use to get there ipod.

hmmm brings up a thought. hey gratis how about an offer system to get a free canon eos 1ds -) drool drool drool -)

Chris Taylor
http//www.nerys.com/

ironbeamz

11-10-2004 11:29:42

yeah, i got 7 offers for my ipod, and about 12 for my TV. I was going to go for more items, but I do see their Terms and condones say not to, and I really cant complain to getting a free TV and Ipod, so now all i have to do is work on my PC...

hacktek

11-10-2004 12:15:08

[quoted27a92fefb="ironbeamz"]yeah, i got 7 offers for my ipod, and about 12 for my TV. I was going to go for more items, but I do see their Terms and condones say not to, and I really cant complain to getting a free TV and Ipod, so now all i have to do is work on my PC...[/quoted27a92fefb]

Ur basically saying everything u have said up to this point has been a complete crock of shit...

sootroom

11-10-2004 12:38:42

[quotec1c50a44f6="hacktek"][quotec1c50a44f6="ironbeamz"]yeah, i got 7 offers for my ipod, and about 12 for my TV. I was going to go for more items, but I do see their Terms and condones say not to, and I really cant complain to getting a free TV and Ipod, so now all i have to do is work on my PC...[/quotec1c50a44f6]

Ur basically saying everything u have said up to this point has been a complete crock of shit...[/quotec1c50a44f6]

That's kinda what I was thinking too.

Tholek

11-10-2004 12:48:38

I just got to the end of reading the first post, and boom, "fake" popped into my head.

If it's real, whoever wrote it, would be a retard.....

ironbeamz

11-10-2004 14:55:55

i thought i was right, i figured peter martin would have said something if i wasn't, but its not worth getting my account put on hold for more free items... i just cant wait for that new TV just in time for halo 2