mihir871

27-04-2005 19:51:45

Vote Now!!!

Be honest please...
Leave reason for vote

Thanks

keyspacer

27-04-2005 20:00:27

The next generation of video cards will not be available in AGP. I would love to have an AMD system, but I would want a better card and I am not going to invest in something I won't be able to use in the future. For this reason I have to go with the Dell.

breslijo

28-04-2005 09:19:58

CyberPower, for 64bit processor. And, I can fix whatever may be wrong with it, if something is in fact wrong on arrival.

If the P4 Dell had 512MB of RAM it's close 2nd, but since it doesn't, the Sony is a better deal.

Intel does have their own 64bit processor out. Maybe next year that will be in the FreeDesktopPC Dell offering.

keyspacer

28-04-2005 13:03:18

The 64 bit intel will be in the higher end stuff. I doubt intel is going to scale it down far enough for the free computer.

CoMpFrEaK

03-05-2005 07:16:34

i'd have to vote for the dell, im not even sure if the cyberpower is socket 939, it may even be the 7 series socket which isnt that great. Also the cyberpower is based on the VIA chipset which also sucks when compared to the N4. The dell is all the newest technology. D

weez

03-05-2005 10:16:00

Dell all the way.

CP from what I've heard on boards have way too many problems to even consider. What good is its specs if it doesn't even work properly? Yeah I know, easy fix but investing your time in those greens better flipping mean my cpu works right off the bat.

Sony is slow. I can't even believe you just said they have a better deal than Dell. First of all its Celeron, doesn't even come with a monitor and most importantly is its slow processor. My Dell 4 years running proved faster than my friends 2 yr old Sony. Mine barely has that many upgrades and he rarely used it and the Dell zoomed right by.

HP garbage.
Anything else listed consider it one step below HP.

breslijo

03-05-2005 10:33:49

[quoteb85a32cd3a="CoMpFrEaK"]i'd have to vote for the dell, im not even sure if the cyberpower is socket 939, it may even be the 7 series socket which isnt that great. Also the cyberpower is based on the VIA chipset which also sucks when compared to the N4. The dell is all the newest technology. D[/quoteb85a32cd3a]

I'll agree and disagree. First off, it depends what you are in the market for. I want a computer I can run now as is and get the best performance. This is obviously the CyberPower. The Dell Motherboard may have some of the newer features in technology, but the CyberPower comes equipped with better features at no cost to you. So, do you want a system who comes less equipped today, but, you could buy newer stuff for. However, if you wait, it will be outdated anyway!

Either system can be upgraded in the future.

But, DDR 400 performs faster/better than DDR2 400. DDR2 wont outperform DDR 400 until you get to DDR2 533 or 667. And CyberPower gives you 512MB, Dell 256MB.

The processor. Dell gives you a 32bit processor, CyberPower a 64bit one. Windows XP 64 or RedHat 64 will run on the CyberPower, no upgrades needed. The Dell would need a new motherboard and processor.

PCI-E 16x vs AGP 8x. Well, the AGP 8x card that comes with the CyberPower will blow away the on-motherboard video chip that comes with the Dell.

The point is, if you want to seriously upgrade either of these systems, you'll want to start with the motherboard, then slowly the peripherals. And if that's the case, well then pick the system with the better case. CyberPower wins there.

Because of that, I say pick the system with what you can do the most with out of the Box. And for that, the CyberPower and the Sony are better than the Dell. Main reason Sony is better than Dell is for the DVD/CD/PLAYER Burner Drive. The Dell just comes with a CD reader.

I've built many computers and the best rule of thumb is to buy the best combo of most affordable and performing stuff now, don't worry about the future, when you hit a standstill, build/buy a new system with the most affordable/performing stuff. Your system will always be low-cost and efficient.

breslijo

03-05-2005 10:42:30

[quotef69b43962d="weez"]Dell all the way.

CP from what I've heard on boards have way too many problems to even consider. What good is its specs if it doesn't even work properly? Yeah I know, easy fix but investing your time in those greens better flipping mean my cpu works right off the bat.

Sony is slow. I can't even believe you just said they have a better deal than Dell. First of all its Celeron, doesn't even come with a monitor and most importantly is its slow processor. My Dell 4 years running proved faster than my friends 2 yr old Sony. Mine barely has that many upgrades and he rarely used it and the Dell zoomed right by.

HP garbage.
Anything else listed consider it one step below HP.[/quotef69b43962d]

Sony = celeron D 335
Dell = pentium 4 520

Google celeron D 335 vs pentium 4 520
here's one link
http//www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3261_3398581__8[]http//www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3261_3398581__8
Celeron gets a bad rep because they never added a number to it like Pentium 1,2,3,4, but if you dig in, you'll find it to be just as good (if not better) as the P4 520