Mac Mini stolen by DHL

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=12848

mft7

27-04-2005 14:15:33

Just to share my experience

I had a mini coming in the 4/11 shipment.

Checked DHL website while at work on 4/13 and saw it had been delivered at 1 PM, which surprised me since I knew it required a signature.

Got home and found box at door, cut open, with flaps folded back together. Nothing inside except empty mini box and some dirt and grass.

Turns out package "signed for" with a line through signature box, ie. driver marked a line so system accepted delivery.

Called local DHL office. Nothing. Will check into it. Driver claims it was delivered.

Called national DHL office. Will send you claim form.

Finally, 2 weeks later Gratis responds and says the shipper will file claim with DHL. Could take up to 2 MONTHS.

Not expecting much. DHL's liability on a shipment is $100 max.

My first question was how did the driver know there was something valuable inside? Then I look at the box. There is a sticker on the side that says "1.42 ghz Mac Mini"!! Unbelievable.

Make sure you sign for your shipment.

Anyone have any experience with this happening? Any help?

Passsword

27-04-2005 14:19:43

Im speechless at how badly that sucks. That is fucking bulslhit.

PodTopia

27-04-2005 14:20:23

Jesus. Might not have been the driver though, could have been someone else that stole it.

RealtorKen

27-04-2005 14:35:51

Why would anyone fill the box with dirt and grass? You probably just got that driver who was trying to support his 18 kids fired.

I smell something fishy...

PodTopia

27-04-2005 14:38:43

Yeah, it seems fishy, but how do you know it was the driver?

RealtorKen

27-04-2005 14:42:33

Who is to say you didn't just come up with this story to scam DHL and Gratis. Once you realized the driver tried to do you a favor, you figured you would take advantage of his niceness.

mistwolf

27-04-2005 14:47:57

[quoteaacb4eca9d="RealtorKen"]Who is to say you didn't just come up with this story to scam DHL and Gratis. Once you realized the driver tried to do you a favor, you figured you would take advantage of his niceness.[/quoteaacb4eca9d]

In the end, the DHL driver was severely in the wrong by not getting a signature, for exactly this reason. They require one so this can't happen, and he circumvented that.

mft7

27-04-2005 14:51:28

I know it was the driver because the package couldn't have been delivered without a signature.

There was no signature- just a line. They display this electronically on the website tracking report.

The tracking report said "delivered to receptionist" and signed by me as in "MYFIRSTINITIAL LASTNAME"

I was at work at 1PM on a wednesday and I obviously dont have a receptionist.

The box wasn't filled with dirt and grass, just a few pieces, like he pulled the computer out and threw the packaging back in the box after it had been sitting on the ground.

Thought about it alot and there's really not much I can do more than i already have.

Gratis didnt even believe me at first, but theyre apparently helping to file a claim now.

Oh well flick DHL

RealtorKen

27-04-2005 15:11:42

Sorry I still don't buy your story that the driver did it. If the driver was gonna do it, he would have opened the box in the truck where there is no dirt or grass. He would have then put the empty box at the door.

I hope you still have the box, they are gonna most likely be picking that up as part of their IA.

Archon810

27-04-2005 15:41:53

it was most definitely not a driver. perhaps a person that pretended it was you outside your door... DHL always puts receptionist if it's someone other than you.

metfoo

27-04-2005 18:00:28

the box says whats inside, so my guess is somebody read the label (the box is from apple, sn and specs are on it) and decided to go for it.

kutibah

27-04-2005 20:11:44

WOW. I hope the PSP doesn't have a label. Maybe you could get fingerprints on the box and match them with the driver's? ;) Of course, you would have to fingerprint the packaging.

chillywilly

28-04-2005 07:53:09

I really don't think it was the driver, either. They carry more expensive stuff all the time that is in boxes that are obviously marked. If he was going to take something, he would want to get something that was worth more.

It was obviously someone else who was in a hurry... the box with the bit of dirt and grass... too rushed to worry about trying to put things back together.

Hope Gratis can help here.

I always have mine delivered to my work. My mail guy is getting good at knowing when I get another freebie. And I'm nice to him by buying him a couple of shots at the bar on Fridays.

mft7

28-04-2005 08:16:35

I'm not gonna even respond to the dumbshlit who thinks I'm making this up and trying to scam gratis.

the only reason i even posted here 2 weeks later was to warn people that this can happen.

i really don't see who it could have been except the driver.

my front door is about 20 feet from the street-meaning someone would have had to positioned themselves in my yard between the time the DHL truck pulled up and the driver got out.

if some random person signed <a blank line> for it and the driver marked the signer as <my name>, the receptionist, why the hell would they bother repackaging the mini box and putting it inside my screen door?

it only makes sense that the driver did the minimum necessary for the system to think the delivery was made (mark a line in the sig box and deliver an empty box) and ran off with it.

honestly I'll be surprised if Gratis offers much help. what is their incentive to help me except the word-of-mouth bad press theyll receive?

theyre raking in cash from all of my referrals and their referrals and thats what they care about.

flatline

28-04-2005 08:34:15

Yeah I don't quite understand why there was a signature, which means that someone must have physically signed for it (unless you put a note on your door saying that he was allowed to leave it there), yet the package was left outside. If someone signed for it it would be in their hands, not on the doorstep.

chillywilly

28-04-2005 10:55:57

I will say that it sounds like the driver was lazy and just left the package and signed for it himself, so to speak. But I still doubt the driver cracked the box and opened it. If he wanted to do that, he could have done it in the privacy of his truck.

liquidskin

28-04-2005 11:02:26

[quote85bc0b9987="chillywilly"]I will say that it sounds like the driver was lazy and just left the package and signed for it himself, so to speak. But I still doubt the driver cracked the box and opened it. If he wanted to do that, he could have done it in the privacy of his truck.[/quote85bc0b9987]

kutibah

28-04-2005 12:56:22

Well, what USPS has done for me before was they would sign for me. For example, I once wasn't home and I had a package, so the lady told me she signed for me as receptionist and left the box there. I luckily found it. So the driver could have signed for you and took the mac mini.

But I agree with chillywilly. He would have done it in the vehicle if he jacked it.

RealtorKen

28-04-2005 13:05:45

[quote9c2b170318="PodTopia"]Jesus. Might not have been the driver though, could have been someone else that stole it.[/quote9c2b170318]

Jesus is moonlighting for DHL these days? Damn and I have been waiting all this time for his rebirth...

I could understand maybe if he was working for that trucking company G.O.D (Guarenteed Overnight Delivery) lol

chillywilly

28-04-2005 14:06:56

^^^ LOL... too damn funny.

I've always liked

"I found Jesus... he was behind the couch the whole time!"