well, there goes my mac =(

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=12815

elitemrp

27-04-2005 06:29:02

i put my mac on ebay 2 weeks ago.. the person used buy-it-now for $575+$20 shipping

he paid with paypal but his address didnt match his name and i couldnt get him to reply to emails or phone calls so i refunded the money and kept the mac

i relisted it, it sold again monday.. i got paid, everything looked great so i shipped it later that monday

yesterday i login to paypal, my $595 was taken out and paypal says its on hold

i check my email.. they say they're investigating because it might have been paid with a stolen account

at first i hope its a mistake.. until im contacted by the real paypal account owner, he says it wasnt him who paid and someone stole his account

so now i have no money and no mac

i hate life

Diggety

27-04-2005 07:46:08

That really sucks, there is no way that paypal can reimburse you?

whenrabbisattack

27-04-2005 08:35:13

wow... i feel absolutely horrible about that... (

i think paypal has a $500 protection thing though... maybe they will give you the $500 back.

that is so saddening (

elitemrp

27-04-2005 08:38:00

i dont think ill get anything back

the seller protection only covers you if you ship to the confirmed address

for some reason i shipped to a different address

i mean the whole reason i knew the first buyer was trying to scam me was because it was a different address

i think i just thought it couldnt happen 2 times in a row and i just wanted the money

dammit

MacTrader

27-04-2005 08:41:10

sorry man, that hurts hard.

chillywilly

27-04-2005 10:41:47

bummer dude. Sorry to hear that. Stupid scammers.

Most likely someone that got phished. I almost got caught with that once with my eBay account, but the second I hit enter, I knew it was a phising scheme.

So now I have fun with them.... I enter bogus user ID and passwords like "fuckoffscammer" and "thefedshavebeencalled"

Wish these ppl would find something useful to do with their time and talents.

Here's wishing you'll get something back, if not all of it.

Smitrovich

27-04-2005 11:33:21

That's terrible... is there any way you can track him down through his i.p. address? Did he ever email you directly? Perhaps if you contact Ebay, they could help you.

elitemrp

27-04-2005 11:54:14

[quoteaa520eeeb1="Smitrovich"]That's terrible... is there any way you can track him down through his i.p. address? Did he ever email you directly? Perhaps if you contact Ebay, they could help you.[/quoteaa520eeeb1]

well i have his home address and phone number

paypal is investigating it right now.. but im pretty sure when they're done ill still be without mac/money

i hope he gets arrested

hehehhehe

27-04-2005 11:58:24

It might also be someone that had you ship to his own address (not confirmed) and claimed he had been scammed. Was the legit accout owner and scammer in totally different locations?

You have the person's (scammer's) address. You should be able to file a complaint through their local Police. You can also track their IP addresses through their email like Smitrovich says, and with that you can find their location.

PodTopia

27-04-2005 12:11:04

Unfortunately, he won't get arrested. Someone in Maine did the same thing, but scammed people out of over $200,000 and just went to jail for 6 years. This was after the judgegave him the opportunity to reimburse the money to the people. You should ALWAYS ship to a confirmed address.

CBR600

28-04-2005 12:41:18

since you got their address, you can go hunt them down....

elitemrp

28-04-2005 20:09:32

i might be able to get it back

they attempted to deliver it yesterday but no one was there to sign for it so they left a notice and its at the post office

so i called today and told them what happened and they said they'd put a lock on the package so he cant get it.. but neither can i, until i can prove i really shipped it

so tomorrow im going to fax copies of my shipping receipts and hopefully that'll work and they'll send it back

if i get it back i still want to sell it but now ill be too paranoid.., damn ebay is full of criminals!

sc510

30-04-2005 09:46:55

I hope you call the requisite authorities so maybe they can catch the guy when he goes to pick it up.

pSeuDo

30-04-2005 09:52:04

[quote8d5840fccc="elitemrp"]i might be able to get it back

they attempted to deliver it yesterday but no one was there to sign for it so they left a notice and its at the post office

so i called today and told them what happened and they said they'd put a lock on the package so he cant get it.. but neither can i, until i can prove i really shipped it

so tomorrow im going to fax copies of my shipping receipts and hopefully that'll work and they'll send it back
[b8d5840fccc]
if i get it back i still want to sell it but now ill be too paranoid.., damn ebay is full of criminals![/b8d5840fccc][/quote8d5840fccc]

how much you looking to sell it for?

chillywilly

30-04-2005 18:37:20

That's some good news about the non-delivery.
Hope you can get it back...

mistwolf

30-04-2005 22:05:35

Good luck mate! Hope this settles down!

ticky

01-05-2005 15:46:08

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that and thanks for letting the community know!

I'll definitely be more vigilant when I sell things on ebay.

CBR600

02-05-2005 11:09:47

that's why I hate using ebay and have stopped using it for the past year or so. If you live in a major metropolitan area, you should try posting it on craigslist.org It's like an online classified section of a newspaper and its free to use, no seller fees like ebay. I've sold a whole bunch of stuff through it and it's safe because you guys will meet up to do the trade. i.e. you give them product, they give you money in cash.

JerseyEd25

03-05-2005 09:34:26

you have a mailing address....contract the local post office and speak to the post master....that is considered mail fraud and it is a FEDERAL!! crime. Also contact the local police

chillywilly

03-05-2005 11:07:05

BTW, craigslist is owned by eBay. It's a cool place to post stuff, but eBay owns them now.

As for eBay, I've been taken once or twice, but that's a given in any sort of transaction - online or in person.

Archon810

03-05-2005 11:16:49

Wow, I felt such a relief when you said u got a lock on it. I really hope you get it back, as I've thought that somebody might use this scam after I got $83 reversed because of a stolen paypal account. Fucking assholes!

willietanner

03-05-2005 12:48:12

ebay is a 25% shareholder in Craigslist. They don't own them.

weez

03-05-2005 17:01:31

Craigslist rules. Sorry about the situation.