iTrip or aux-in?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=1216

therippa

06-10-2004 00:53:25

Can anyone vouch for the quality of the iTrip? My car stereo does have rca input jacks in the back, and I could get an adapter cable and run, but I do like the idea of the portability the iTrip offers.

So, if you have an iTrip, how happy are you with the quality?

thermonuke

06-10-2004 02:41:01

Use the AUX, Alot better sound quality.

joshmiao

06-10-2004 06:40:36

Yeah I think FM runs at about 64 kbps or something along those lines.

UberLucid

06-10-2004 06:42:48

So, is iTrip quality equivalent to any ordinary FM station?

I am probably going ot get iTrip, seems like a great way to listen to my music in any vehicle, and a cool way to show my friends what I'm listening to, even if they are drivin'....

CollidgeGraduit

06-10-2004 07:00:14

UberLucid, that's why I'm learning towards getting it too. It just seems like it would be cool to have.

PallarAndersVisa

06-10-2004 07:01:13

those radio transmitters hardly even work in my city. All of the real radio stations just over-power it and you get nothing but static and small bits of sound.
I dont see why you wouldnt use the aux inputs

CollidgeGraduit

06-10-2004 07:05:26

I live in a smaller town, with lots of empty frequencies. Should work fine for me.

JGrayland

06-10-2004 07:21:57

If i HAD the aux, id use it. Just buy both if u wanna impress yr friends, but theres no need to waste the aux input in your own car.

rolandcs

06-10-2004 07:54:27

definately use the AUX. if you have a CD player in your car, you notice the difference between that and the radio?? BIG difference. if you use iTrip, it will sound like the radio, but AUX is like the CD player

PaulAnthonyGerdes@yahoo

06-10-2004 08:46:47

have to say though, itrip portability is great, just depends on if you are willing to sacrifice a little quality for portability (ability to use on a friends radio at a party, other people's cars, etc.)

shifuimam

06-10-2004 10:06:00

I have the Belkin FM transmitter, and the quality sucks, but I only use it in my basement for my shower radio in my bathroom.

Aux in is MUCH better. There's a really cool car charger dock you can get that has a line out on it...I'm hoping to get one for christmas seeing as it's $40.

One thing I have noticed is that if you use a dock connector type line out thing, like that dock or the Belkin car charger, there is white noise in the back that fluxuates as you accelerate/brake when you're driving, while using line-out through the headphone jack doesn't. It's not annoying enough to not use a docking device, but it is there.

JGrayland

06-10-2004 10:17:07

shifuimam - do you mean you can connect something that will give u an aux input to a non aux stereo??? whats the name of it, link, etc?

Rush

06-10-2004 10:31:56

[quote790c058ead="joshmiao"]Yeah I think FM runs at about 64 kbps or something along those lines.[/quote790c058ead]

FM runs at 128kbps.

fisha69

06-10-2004 10:56:45

I have the iTrip it is an awesome novelty. I mean you can have all your buddies in a parking lot set their radios to the same station and pump the same music as you however the quality is not nearly as good as CD. Even the Griffin site says that the quality could never exceed the best FM station...

So if I had AUX input I'd definately connect it directly aswell.

Does a 99 Maxima have AUX inputs by any chance???

PallarAndersVisa

06-10-2004 11:27:42

no

thermonuke

06-10-2004 13:09:13

[quoteb6b51ce8c1="Rush"][quoteb6b51ce8c1="joshmiao"]Yeah I think FM runs at about 64 kbps or something along those lines.[/quoteb6b51ce8c1]

FM runs at 128kbps.[/quoteb6b51ce8c1]

um, no?

128 Kbps and higher near-CD
96 Kbps better than FM
[bb6b51ce8c1][ub6b51ce8c1]64 Kbps FM broadcast[/bb6b51ce8c1] [/ub6b51ce8c1]
32 Kbps AM broadcast

http//www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/home/mp3.html

I wish half the people on this board would read before posting.

PallarAndersVisa

06-10-2004 13:29:58

OWNED

gage006

06-10-2004 13:43:40

[quote64faf8e6c3="therippa"]Can anyone vouch for the quality of the iTrip? My car stereo does have rca input jacks in the back, and I could get an adapter cable and run, but I do like the idea of the portability the iTrip offers.

So, if you have an iTrip, how happy are you with the quality?[/quote64faf8e6c3]

you mean you've found an adapter cable for the rca OUTPUTS to make them INPUTS? Well this i've got to see...

therippa

06-10-2004 13:59:11

[quote6ebe7be1e1="gage006"][quote6ebe7be1e1="therippa"]Can anyone vouch for the quality of the iTrip? My car stereo does have rca input jacks in the back, and I could get an adapter cable and run, but I do like the idea of the portability the iTrip offers.

So, if you have an iTrip, how happy are you with the quality?[/quote6ebe7be1e1]

you mean you've found an adapter cable for the rca OUTPUTS to make them INPUTS? Well this i've got to see...[/quote6ebe7be1e1]

Wow, your wit is just beyond belief.

thermonuke

06-10-2004 14:08:36

[quote9e2410dc64="gage006"][quote9e2410dc64="therippa"]Can anyone vouch for the quality of the iTrip? My car stereo does have rca input jacks in the back, and I could get an adapter cable and run, but I do like the idea of the portability the iTrip offers.

So, if you have an iTrip, how happy are you with the quality?[/quote9e2410dc64]

you mean you've found an adapter cable for the rca OUTPUTS to make them INPUTS? Well this i've got to see...[/quote9e2410dc64]

Yet another post made without researching his smart ass remark.

Generaly, most modern head decks have 2 sets of RCA's on the back. One for Sub/rear and one for AUX (Input).. Factories generaly do NOT include inputs... So if you made this post knowing you have a factory Head deck... Well, thats your fault.

thermonuke

06-10-2004 14:11:04

[quote53f7ab7d72="therippa"]Can anyone vouch for the quality of the iTrip? My car stereo does have rca input jacks in the back, and I could get an adapter cable and run, but I do like the idea of the portability the iTrip offers.

So, if you have an iTrip, how happy are you with the quality?[/quote53f7ab7d72]

If you have the inputs in your car.. Buy the damn cable.. Its like a 3 dollar cable that goes from 2.5mm jack to dual RCA... 3$ damn dollars.. That way you can buy your iTrip and leave the cable in your car.

LOGIC IS AWESOME ISNT IT!?

therippa

06-10-2004 14:14:50

[quote223487af26="thermonuke"][quote223487af26="therippa"]Can anyone vouch for the quality of the iTrip? My car stereo does have rca input jacks in the back, and I could get an adapter cable and run, but I do like the idea of the portability the iTrip offers.

So, if you have an iTrip, how happy are you with the quality?[/quote223487af26]

If you have the inputs in your car.. Buy the damn cable.. Its like a 3 dollar cable that goes from 2.5mm jack to dual RCA... 3$ damn dollars.. That way you can buy your iTrip and leave the cable in your car.

LOGIC IS AWESOME ISNT IT!?[/quote223487af26]

Yes, it is very awesome. I know that the cable is cheap and I know how to hook it up. My question was pertaining to the quality of the iTrip versus aux-in. I know aux-in would be better, but I was curious as to how close the iTrip came to it.

People need to relax on this board.

blue

08-10-2004 10:20:29

I returned my iTrip. The quality sucked. But, we also have very few open frequencies here - basically none. Even if one liseemedli empty, in a minute it would be picking up some station somewhere. It was a huge pain in the ass.

When I brought it back, the CompUSA manager gave me full credit, no restocking fee, and just nodded knowingly when I explained I couldn't get anything but very choppy, static-y sound.

blue

tyketto

08-10-2004 11:26:53

Ultimately, get the iTrip if you want convenience. The quality is only going to be possibly as good as your best radio station. Usually that's good enough for basic use.
If you can use the Aux, I would use them for the best sound quality.
I am getting the iTrip to make it easier to use in the office, etc. however I will probably also buy a cassette adaptor for car use too. If I'm too lazy to hook it up, I'll at least know I have the iTrip for quick use.

shifuimam

11-10-2004 23:43:23

[quote0a6f6d33bf="thermonuke"]Generally, most modern head decks have 2 sets of RCA's on the back. One for Sub/rear and one for AUX (Input).. Factories generaly do NOT include inputs... So if you made this post knowing you have a factory Head deck... Well, thats your fault.[/quote0a6f6d33bf]

Except that most low end head units (sub $120) don't have the AUX input on the back. The only ones that I know of with an AUX input, be it stereo minijack or RCA, that are in that price bracket are from Aiwa.

It was worth losing my Pioneer for the Aiwa just for the input. I'm happy at any rate.

sirion

12-10-2004 10:22:14

How do tape adapters fit into all of this, quality wise?

Starfury

12-10-2004 22:47:52

If you go for the FM transmitter search for an Audia X. I've got one and the sound quality is excellent (sounds just like I was playing a radio station). I tested it with my portable cd player and stuck with 1 station the entire hour long drive to college 1 day and never had any static. I got it for a little over $20.

Zephyr

12-10-2004 23:08:48

[quote57d07414e6="shifuimam"]
Except that most low end head units (sub $120) don't have the AUX input on the back. The only ones that I know of with an AUX input, be it stereo minijack or RCA, that are in that price bracket are from Aiwa.

It was worth losing my Pioneer for the Aiwa just for the input. I'm happy at any rate.[/quote57d07414e6]

I have a Pioneer that is about 2 years old and i love it, but it doesn't have aux in. I saw the aiwa players with the aux in, but i've heard bad things about aiwas. Mostly, though, the issues were with cd playback, which wouldn't matter. I just hate the idea of replacing my Pioneer with a $110 Aiwa...

shifuimam

15-10-2004 17:36:55

[quoteeaf05048a4="Zephyr"]I have a Pioneer that is about 2 years old and i love it, but it doesn't have aux in. I saw the aiwa players with the aux in, but i've heard bad things about aiwas. Mostly, though, the issues were with cd playback, which wouldn't matter. I just hate the idea of replacing my Pioneer with a $110 Aiwa...[/quoteeaf05048a4]

Yeah, there is one thing about the Aiwa that kind of bothers me compared to my Pioneer - if you turn off the car with a CD in mid-track, the Pioneer picks up playback seamlessly when you start your car again. The Aiwa has a lag and you can hear the laser mechanism moving back into place on the CD. Same thing goes for skipping through several tracks at once (e.g. track 1 to track 7) - you can hear the mechanism and it lags a bit. I haven't had any problems with quality though...

I did notice the Aiwa ejects and inserts CDs when the car is off - my Pioneer didn't do that, which was annoying because I'd then have to put my keys in the ignition just to get a CD out of the player.

The only reason I changed players was because my boyfriend had an Aiwa from his old car that he wasn't using, and he gave it to me for free. I never would have bought a new CD player just for my iPod, especially since there's a good chance I'm getting rid of my car in the next year or so.

[quoteeaf05048a4="sirion"]How do tape adapters fit into all of this, quality wise?[/quoteeaf05048a4]

My boyfriend uses my RCA tape adapter in his factory Subaru tape deck and it sounds great...anything is better than an FM transmitter! It does, however, depend on your tape deck and the quality of your tape adapter. Don't get a shitty off-brand one. Invest the $10 in a Sony adapter if you're going to go that route. You can use a tape adapter with the Belkin charger or the iPod car dock that I'm getting, since both just use a stereo mini (1/8") audio jack.

princessfrozen

15-10-2004 20:14:26

okay so i'm shopping for a head unit for my car now and attempting to find one with the aux-in. so far i've seen the aiwa's, the dual's (does anybody know anything about these whether positive or negative), and the sony's. are there any more i should know about. my search has been limited to bestbuy and crutchfield thus far.

Zephyr

15-10-2004 20:54:00

[quoteebd4db73fc="shifuimam"]Yeah, there is one thing about the Aiwa that kind of bothers me compared to my Pioneer - if you turn off the car with a CD in mid-track, the Pioneer picks up playback seamlessly when you start your car again. The Aiwa has a lag and you can hear the laser mechanism moving back into place on the CD. Same thing goes for skipping through several tracks at once (e.g. track 1 to track 7) - you can hear the mechanism and it lags a bit. I haven't had any problems with quality though...[/quoteebd4db73fc]

Well, I really don't care about the ability to play CDs. I'll be using my iPod 99.9% of the time once I get a compatible deck.

shifuimam

15-10-2004 22:48:18

[quote5cb2eed5e2="princessfrozen"]okay so i'm shopping for a head unit for my car now and attempting to find one with the aux-in. so far i've seen the aiwa's, the dual's (does anybody know anything about these whether positive or negative), and the sony's. are there any more i should know about. my search has been limited to bestbuy and crutchfield thus far.[/quote5cb2eed5e2]

Well, for one thing, THERE'S NO FREAKIN APOSTROPHE IN PLURAL WORDS. Sorry, but that's a major pet peeve of mine. "Sonys" would be appropriate, not "Sony's" because you aren't talking about anything that BELONGS to Sony; you're talking about a Sony product.

Don't go with Sony. Their stuff is way too overpriced. I really like the Aiwa unit I have, and from what I have seen their new head units have the nice high-contrast blue background LCD with white letters/numbers, and it's the only brand I've seen with the aux in on all models (even the $100 one). I don't know a lot about Dual, but I'm pretty sure they're one of the semi-generic brands, and I wouldn't really trust them.

Try looking at www.epinions.com - just type in the brand and model number of the unit you're wondering about, and you should get some useful information.