Return for cash question

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=11931

stavros

18-04-2005 05:01:18

If I took my brand new unopened ipod (which i have yet to receieve!) to CompUSA or a similar store that sells them, could I do the following to obtain cash?

a. Return the iPod for store credit.
b. Purchase something of equal $ value, and request a gift card
c. come back, return said item for $

Plausible?

I already have an iPod and would love to use the proceeds for a set of golf clubs! Thanks in advance for the info!

PsychoAU

18-04-2005 06:27:48

I doubt it. They won't give cash unless you paid cash to begin with. At the most, you will probably just get more store credit.

PsychoAU

stavros

18-04-2005 06:44:07

Even though the purpose of the gift reciept is to give options to the recipient? Unless I'm mistaken a gift reciept is as valid as the original, except it doesn't have the purchase method on it.

PsychoAU

18-04-2005 07:09:32

yeah, but the gift card cannot be returned for cash. I have never heard of any place that will take a gift card and give you back cash. I doubt it would work the way you want it to, but you could always just call them and find out.

PsychoAU

stavros

18-04-2005 07:16:07

[quote9c61d15026="PsychoAU"]yeah, but the gift card cannot be returned for cash. I have never heard of any place that will take a gift card and give you back cash. I doubt it would work the way you want it to, but you could always just call them and find out.

PsychoAU[/quote9c61d15026]

A hah, not gift card, a gift reciept.

I exchange the ipod for a gift card. Then I purchase something and ask for a gift reciept. Then go to the store with the item, and the gift reciept (acting as the recipient of the gift) and want cash.

oasisfan

18-04-2005 07:19:57

Nope. You can't get cash even with a gift receipt.

(at least any any place I've ever been to) Best option is to ebay it, I think.

ben

18-04-2005 11:54:54

[quote61410e6f53="PsychoAU"]yeah, but the gift card cannot be returned for cash. I have never heard of any place that will take a gift card and give you back cash. I doubt it would work the way you want it to, but you could always just call them and find out.

PsychoAU[/quote61410e6f53]

walmart used to, then it was like only 50 bucks or less, and now they dont.. i think they might sell like 1 ipod on their online store but they dont sell any in their brick and mortar stores..