Recent Shanghai iPods come engraved

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=1155

gizmo

05-10-2004 08:12:33

I just got my Apple iPod this morning. It was in the batch that was ordered directly from Apple from 9-30 through 10-2. It made it in 4 business days, so pretty quick.

As discussed previously, I had a P model number iPod, as did everyone in that batch. These iPods come engraved with "freeiPods.com". Just thought I'd let everyone know.

It kind of sucks, because it hurts the resale value... but I suppose I can't really complain. I'll try to get a picture up soon.

fredward

05-10-2004 08:16:39

Are you kidding me?!??! Now how am I supposed to return it for the 40GB?

CollidgeGraduit

05-10-2004 08:17:58

I guess you aren't P

Inferno69

05-10-2004 08:19:06

hahaha, www.freeipods.com getting a little smarter now..

Sebring

05-10-2004 08:23:03

I don't want an engraved iPod ... So... when is that shipment of HP ipods coming from eCost?

Pusha C

05-10-2004 08:23:14

LMFAO

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

hopefully my Hpod doesn't come like that...

CollidgeGraduit

05-10-2004 08:26:46

If you don't want an engraved iPod.. cancel your order P

Just kidding.. but seriously, it's free.. jeeze..

fredward

05-10-2004 08:28:30

It makes sense for them to do this... more publicity, if people show others their ipod it's proof that freeipods is a legit site, it stops people from selling/returning them, etc.

Inferno69

05-10-2004 08:29:03

yeah no kidding!

gizmo

05-10-2004 08:30:04

Here are a few pics of the engraving.

http//homepage.mac.com/gizmotoy/PhotoAlbum17.html[]http//homepage.mac.com/gizmotoy/PhotoAlbum17.html

And for those of you who aren't aware, engraved iPods cannot be exchanged or returned. Once they have been purchased, they're yours. Getting them serviced is a pain as well. And they lower resale value. So... they're not ideal.

majatoi

05-10-2004 08:32:07

I Am glad! P This way people won't be saying I went and bought a ipod just to make them sign up for the lcd / desktop deals! P haha... they are so skeptical. Just got my order approved, and hopefully it will get sent to vendor soon!

eglchick

05-10-2004 08:38:17

anyone know if going forward, all apple ipods from gratis will have this engraving? i thought i read somewhere that apple had free engraving right now for ipods, and wondered if this was just because apple was offering a deal or if they'd decided to do them all this way from here on out.

and is it just the apple ipod that can be engraved or can hp ipods be engraved as well?

Pusha C

05-10-2004 08:38:35

http//homepage.mac.com/gizmotoy/.Pictures/FreeiPod" alt=""/img_2655.JPG[/imgd4855016c4]

lol lol lol

fredward

05-10-2004 08:40:04

Well since this huge shipment cape right from Apple and they have free engraving, it's no wonder they took advantage of it.

PaulAnthonyGerdes@yahoo

05-10-2004 08:42:44

i bet if apple stops offering free engraving (i hadnt even heard they started that), then freeipods.com will stop. paying 19 bones for each engraving could run quite an extra bill for them, but if its free of course they will take advantage of it.

gizmo

05-10-2004 08:44:32

While the extra $19 is a bit steep, I wouldn't be all that surprised if they continued. It's a very impressive (and comparatively cheap) form of advertising.

DIGITALgimpus

05-10-2004 08:48:58

They'd have a much better chance of getting people to keep spreading their name if they didn't grafiti.

CollidgeGraduit

05-10-2004 08:51:28

Nah, it doesn't lessen their chance any..

1 "Where'd you get that iPod?"
2 "Uhh.. nowhere"
1 "Shutup, lemme see it! Oohh.. freeiPods.com, cool!"
2 "No, uhh, don't go there.. they put engraving on the iPods"
1 "But... they're free, right?"
2 "Well yeah, but they engrave them"

the_jaguar

05-10-2004 08:55:58

My iPod is sitting at a place that is 10 minutes away from me. It will be delivered tomorrow.. woohoo !

ksg

05-10-2004 08:58:43

Haha... thats funny. Guess that rules out selling mine.

mapStuart

05-10-2004 09:08:15

rhernals, that was hilarious and dead-on. It makes perfect sense for freeipods to engrave their products and at least get credit where credit is due. They did it with freegiftplanet, I thought they'd eventually do it for freeipods as well.

mapStuart

05-10-2004 09:10:06

It also supports my theory that when Gratis skipped us earlier switchers, I'm thinking they may have already placed this engraving order with Apple. Unfortunately the engraving ones took longer than the HP's to arrive... but at least it might mean there was method in the seeming madness.

eglchick

05-10-2004 09:16:28

good call!

JGrayland

05-10-2004 09:17:22

how would it effect trading it in for a 40??? theyre still sealed, no?

mapStuart

05-10-2004 09:21:28

They are still sealed, but it is indicated on the box that they are engraved - so BestBuy/Apple/etc won't let you trade them since they're customized. Maybe I'm wrong about the Apple store - but I think that is the case - unless something is wrong with the unit.

Phbs83

05-10-2004 09:22:05

Damn it, I wanted a 40GB ipod.. I guess that will screw the exchange thing( Please if anyone knows if it would still be possible to exchange it, let us know

mapStuart

05-10-2004 09:22:11

I guess you can "hope" that your unit displays the audio issues and you can then take it to the Apple store and see if they'll just exchange it...

crow216

05-10-2004 09:25:18

If you sold it on ebay nobody would care. Just state that the ipod is 100% brand new unopened, who the hell is gonna care? Include in the description that there is an engraving on the back but give them free shipping or something. You will have no trouble's selling it to an 11 year old asking his mom to buy it for him......and I do not mean that in a scamming way, but ebay customers are quite un-intelligent. Does the box say on the outside that it is from freeipods.com? Because if it doesn't and it's an unopened box, then no store will open the box to check.

Phbs83

05-10-2004 09:25:21

Lol either this, or receiving an hPod will be GREAT)

Phbs83

05-10-2004 09:26:51

[quote57844e80ef="crow216"]If you sold it on ebay nobody would care. Just state that the ipod is 100% brand new unopened, who the hell is gonna care? Include in the description that there is an engraving on the back but give them free shipping or something. You will have no trouble's selling it to an 11 year old asking his mom to buy it for him......and I do not mean that in a scamming way, but ebay customers are quite un-intelligent. Does the box say on the outside that it is from freeipods.com? Because if it doesn't and it's an unopened box, then no store will open the box to check.[/quote57844e80ef]

But still, the model number is different. It's P, and that means "Personalized". But thanks for the tip, I will try Ebay if that helps)

crow216

05-10-2004 09:34:39

Well good luck, I will be changing from apple to hpod anyway because I have been hearing about long long waits for apple pods

fresh27

05-10-2004 09:44:54

wow, fuck you gratis. this is stupid as shit, theyre not gonna make any more money by doing this, theyre just pissing us off

CollidgeGraduit

05-10-2004 09:49:18

You're right, fresh27... NOBODY is gonna want a FREE $300 iPod. Get a freakin' clue. Does it screw up your trade-in/exchange? Sure, it probably will. I guess you'll have to live with a measly 20 gigabytes of music.

kingjester33

05-10-2004 09:50:15

HAHAHA amazing. Since I want one for me and it's going to spend 95% of it's life in a case I could care less.

Tuffgong4

05-10-2004 09:50:36

actually I don't why people could just switch the casing if they return it or if they feel like it...there have to be ipod cases all around the internet to personalize them

PaulAnthonyGerdes@yahoo

05-10-2004 09:50:48

[quotea229d275d4="fresh27"]wow, fuck you gratis. this is stupid as shit, theyre not gonna make any more money by doing this, theyre just pissing us off[/quotea229d275d4]

mm actually i think they will make more money, its okay though b/c your intelligent post just made us all smarter!

gizmo

05-10-2004 10:04:24

[quoted3ec3e4ed6="JGrayland"]how would it effect trading it in for a 40??? theyre still sealed, no?[/quoted3ec3e4ed6]

As mentioned about 4 posts up, you can not return or exchange an engraved iPod. Not even at the Apple store.

fresh27

05-10-2004 10:29:00

freeipod w/o engraving - costs gratis ~$300
--- resale, trade-in, etc, value for us - a lot
freeipod w/ engraving - costs gratis ~$300
--- resale, trade-in, etc, value for us - a lot less

Fugger

05-10-2004 10:35:53

I know it sucks but you see... Gratis is in the industry to make money. I know, I know... It sounds stupid [i3d0bb133e0]but[/i3d0bb133e0] this is essentially free advertising for them and it is also more proof that freeipods.com works. If you sell the iPod for less then, well, what does Gratis care?

Be thankful that they offer you anything at all.

Cry baby.

PaulAnthonyGerdes@yahoo

05-10-2004 10:39:36

agreed

thermonuke

05-10-2004 10:46:42

[quoted048944712="fresh27"]freeipod w/o engraving - costs gratis ~$300
--- resale, trade-in, etc, value for us - a lot
freeipod w/ engraving - costs gratis ~$300
--- resale, trade-in, etc, value for us - a lot less[/quoted048944712]

If you actualy paid for the item, i could understand this.. But you didnt..

Your just a spoiled little bitch.

fresh27

05-10-2004 10:59:55

This is the same as Gratis sending you an iPod smeared with fecal matter >=[

edit Except I could wipe shit off.

PaulAnthonyGerdes@yahoo

05-10-2004 11:09:40

HA! as much as i disagree with your argument b/c you infact a spoiled little bitch... that post was kinda funny

Cedge

05-10-2004 11:13:11

Well, I think that I can understand both sides of the fence on this. I can understand why people ought not to complain about a free $300 item, but I can also understand people being annoyed at suddenly being informed of this with no warning whatsoever, especially those that were planning on selling or trading them.

I myself, don't mind too much. I'll paraphrase what I said in the shoutbox
I'm putting it in a case anyway, so it doesn't matter. Actually, it would be pretty easy to fill it in with some metallic compound, or get a jeweler to do that for you, if for some reason it really, really bothered someone just to see the engraving there (you still wouldn't be able to trade it in, of course). Done carefully, you could make it look like it was never there. No biggie to me, I guess. I wasn't gonna trade it anyway. It could actually be helpful in proving to people that Gratis is legit, I guess. (Maybe get me some FFS referrals ))

So, if it really was an eyesore, you could carefully fill in the engraving or have it done for you by a jeweler. Not a problem if it's in a case, though. )

ipodsforfree

05-10-2004 11:16:59

When you're losing money because too many people are taking advantage of (and in some cases defrauding) an already low-margin scheme, and you're giving away way more products than you ever planned, one strategy you can employ to increase the supply-to-demand ratio is to make the prize less desirable.

Cedge

05-10-2004 11:20:13

[quote14adbe983d="ipodsforfree"]When you're losing money because too many people are taking advantage of (and in some cases defrauding) an already low-margin scheme, and you're giving away way more products than you ever planned, one strategy you can employ to increase the supply-to-demand ratio is to make the prize less desirable.[/quote14adbe983d]

Heh. I seriously doubt this would keep many people from doing it. I mean, they might complain a little bit, but I don't think that they'd refuse the ipods just because of the engravings. ;) I mean, it's a small sacrifice to make, ya know? wink

Anyway, whatever happens to FIP, there's still a bunch more on the way from Gratis, to perhaps draw attention from Freeipods, including FreeDS, FreePSP, etc...but they're making some serious cash, more than you know, so don't worry. D

PaulAnthonyGerdes@yahoo

05-10-2004 11:21:20

lol dude they are making WAY more money than you think they are, dont be fooled, they are making bank. count all the people who signed up MORE than 5 people (almost all of us), or the people who started the process, got 2-3 referalls and then stopped, or all the people who got 5 (or more) and then got put on hold, or all the people who (eventually) will sign up and cannot find 5 people, and only find 4...

every single one of those people they are making money w/o having the give them anything. Dont be fooled, b/c for every new person that signs up and refers more people, who in refers more people, that makes for a WHOLE lot of people at the end of that chain who complete and offer and cant find thier 5... thats a lot of money to be made

CollidgeGraduit

05-10-2004 11:21:45

Here's the thing.... Gratis is VERY up front about this in their T&C. They said they don't even have to send you an iPod, legally they could shit in a box and send it to you.

If you don't want this iPod with "shit smeared all over it", then feel free to cancel your order. Gratis has your referral money. No amount of talking you can do to friends and family will cost Gratis any appreciable amount of money. If anything, they'll call you a stupid douchebag for complaining about some engraving on the back of a $300 product. Take the iTunes gift certificate, cancel your order, or suck it up and accept what they are graciously giving you.

Gratis is providing a service, and they are well within their T&C to engrave their address on the back. Deal with it.

PaulAnthonyGerdes@yahoo

05-10-2004 11:23:54

[quote6a0e5d22e2="rhernals"]They said they don't even have to send you an iPod, legally they could shit in a box and send it to you.[/quote6a0e5d22e2]

very true

PallarAndersVisa

05-10-2004 11:29:23

i hope gratis doesnt see all these people complaining about free stuff

DIGITALgimpus

05-10-2004 11:37:48

This will end up hurting gratis.

when you start to do little stuff like this, you erode your legitimacy. It's basic business.

Many good companies have gone sour over little stuff like this... it adds up and leaves an impression on the customers.

It hurts them more that some people get 100% clean iPods from eCost, with no marking... and they switch after they get some good press.

This is a marketing blunder on their part. I just hope someone there decides to go back to school and take an intro to marketing class.

#1 way to mess up a good business is simply to degrade your reputation.

It's keeping a solid reputation, and userbase that kept Apple alive, despite all the "apple will be gone in 6 months" stuff that's been going on for over 20 years now. Those solid addicts keep coming back, knowing there's a solid product to get.

Microsoft doesn't have that... that's why it fears linux so much.

Anonymous

05-10-2004 11:40:00

Does it change the way an iPod works? No.
You're still getting a free iPod.

Where on Gratis' site does it say they can't brand their own product?

fresh27

05-10-2004 11:42:26

Well then while they're at it, they should cover my iPod with a thick layer of semen and dingleberries.

CollidgeGraduit

05-10-2004 11:43:14

I disagree that this will hurt Gratis.

It gets their name out even more, and the only people that are complaining about it are the ones wanting to trade-in or re-sell, which I guarantee are a VERY small percentage.

If Gratis was flat-out selling iPods, and putting their own engraving on them, I would agree with you. However, there are enough people who are grateful for this service.

Speaking of Intro to Marketing, are you aware of how valuable branding is? They're getting their name out there, and people will remember it -- guaranteed.

DIGITALgimpus

05-10-2004 11:45:34

[quotec956bd83f3="flatline"]Does it change the way an iPod works? No.
You're still getting a free iPod.

Where on Gratis' site does it say they can't brand their own product?[/quotec956bd83f3]
It also doesn't say that it's not a hoax, or a pyramid scheme.

Bottom line is it's going to harm their image as a reputable company. The more vague your TOS, and the more funny stuff you throw in, the more your legitimacy goes down the drain.

Do the opposite, and you build it.

Combined with switching to this (the first iPods to ship, and get publicized in the media didn't have this).... that's not a good image.

CollidgeGraduit

05-10-2004 11:52:41

You're missing the point -- almost nobody minds the engraving on the back, especially enough to boycott Gratis in the future. When people walk to class with their iPods, and show 5-10 friends over the course of a semester, than 5-10 new people will know about FreeIpods.

It's not like they're sticking a 64MB mp3 player in the box instead.

DIGITALgimpus

05-10-2004 11:56:45

I'm curious what the ladies would think if www.freehandbags.com products were re-branded a bit.

Same bag, but a different label.

That's what people are now going to think about their new venture... can't take it at face value anymore.

That degrades their image.

This is marketing 101.... corporate identity and reputation is the #1 asset a company has. All else falls below, including patents, products, inventory, etc.

For companies like Apple, Coca-Cola, IBM... their name and reputations are more valueable than any product they ship, or any rights they own.

CollidgeGraduit

05-10-2004 12:07:49

No, this is not the equivalent of of the handbag being rebranded. This is the equivalent of them writing "FreeHandBags.com" on the inside of the bag.

This does not affect the functioning of the device -- not the sound quality, the quality of the LCD, or the way the click-wheel works.

Gratis's target audience is NOT the people who have $300 that they are looking to spend on an iPod. Their target audience is people who really want an iPod, but either don't have the money to buy one, or aren't willing to pay $300 for an iPod.

The engraving on the back spreads the word among that target audience -- the people who really want an iPod, but aren't going to buy one.

Nobody is going to say, "Ya know, I really want an iPod, and its free and all... but it says FreeiPods on the back.."

Marketing concepts aren't universal -- you can't apply them across the board. It would be simply ridiculous for eCost to SELL iPods with "eCost.com" on the back, because they have a totally different target market.

thermonuke

05-10-2004 12:11:52

To me, this is like bitching about your brand new pair of Nike's having a Nike check on the side..

Damn retards... their service, their product, They can brand them if they want.. Ive seen plenty of Products that have both the makers and the retailers logo on them..

I DONT SEE YOU FUCKING COMPLAINING ABOUT HP IPODS!!! SAME SHIT!?!?! Same product! Ity just has an HP on it.. OMFG NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooO!!!!!!!!

OH NOS, My Logitech mouse says Logitech on it!!!

Or my Xoxide case who was made by someone else but sold my Xoxide on it says XOXIDE on the side.. OMFG!!!

This is retarded. I HOPE i get one engraved with freeipods.. Least that way I can talk others into catch the boat and maybe get some more refs out of it for a FDPC

PaulAnthonyGerdes@yahoo

05-10-2004 12:13:31

very true rhernals, this will eventually help them in the long run, and besides gucci or whoever these bags are made by (i havent look yet) doesnt offer bags you can engrave, but if the option is available (like on the ipod) then why the hell not, instead of people saying "wow he has an ipod i wish i had one" people will say "wow he has an ipod, and it looks like he got it free from freeipods.com", especially the fact that the name gives it away, and they have proof right in front of them that somebody recieved a FREE ipod. very smart move, doesnt ruin thier reputation in the least.

Ace

05-10-2004 12:14:11

i don't want mine engraved (

thermonuke

05-10-2004 12:15:04

[quote6b6458741d="Ace"]i don't want mine engraved ([/quote6b6458741d]

Well too bad twisted

PaulAnthonyGerdes@yahoo

05-10-2004 12:16:56

i would agree that if they branded the bags, people might not want to do it, but people buy designer bags because of fashion and what they look like, not thier functionability like the ipod (or else they would buy a piece of shit bag from a dollar store, works just the same).

i guarentee they wont engrave thier bags, they arent stupid, if they do ill eat shit.

da

05-10-2004 12:20:17

[quotebc258193b1="Cedge"]Well, I think that I can understand both sides of the fence on this. I can understand why people ought not to complain about a free $300 item, but I can also understand people being annoyed at suddenly being informed of this with no warning whatsoever, especially those that were planning on selling or trading them.[/quotebc258193b1]
exactly. I didn't plan to sell mine, but I would never have an iPod engraved, even with something I chose. Junks it up a bit.

thermonuke

05-10-2004 12:21:32

[quote1a9b669487="da"][quote1a9b669487="Cedge"]Well, I think that I can understand both sides of the fence on this. I can understand why people ought not to complain about a free $300 item, but I can also understand people being annoyed at suddenly being informed of this with no warning whatsoever, especially those that were planning on selling or trading them.[/quote1a9b669487]
exactly[/quote1a9b669487]

It's cleary state din the TC, they dont have to warn you about crap.. Supposedly you agree to that upon signing up. p

Ace

05-10-2004 12:22:03

well, its free, why bitch about it lol

set57hike

05-10-2004 12:22:30

Maybe the engraving idea was Apple's?

It stops or hinders two things that Apple doesn't want fradulent exchanges with their retailers and reselling on Ebay. It also identifies customers who didn't actually pay for their ipod when customer service complaints are made to Apple.

da

05-10-2004 12:23:33

[quote83c97bdac1="thermonuke"]
It's cleary state din the TC, they dont have to warn you about crap.. Supposedly you agree to that upon signing up. p[/quote83c97bdac1]
I'm not suing. That's ridiculous. I'm not really complaining either. I'm also used to being shat upon, being an 8/6. Take your long winded, but pretty far-fetched, "analogies" like in your above post, and, well..

jmalm

05-10-2004 12:29:40

LOL, I think this is great because when everyone else is showing off their $300 toy, and how much they spent on it I'll be flashing my one which costed me not a darn cent. Now I'll have proof to back it up. )

DIGITALgimpus

05-10-2004 12:34:02

[quote6be8b9b069="set57hike"]Maybe the engraving idea was Apple's?

It stops or hinders two things that Apple doesn't want fradulent exchanges with their retailers and reselling on Ebay. It also identifies customers who didn't actually pay for their ipod when customer service complaints are made to Apple.[/quote6be8b9b069]
That would really cross the line of business ethics...

Apple recieved full payment for the iPod (from Gratis)... It's obligated to provide support to the legal owner per the warranty issued with the product.

Your assuming the goods are stolen. We should assume they are legitimately purchased (which all evidence shows).

Phbs83

05-10-2004 12:38:20

[quotedc46700bfc="set57hike"]Maybe the engraving idea was Apple's?

It stops or hinders two things that Apple doesn't want fradulent exchanges with their retailers and reselling on Ebay. It also identifies customers who didn't actually pay for their ipod when customer service complaints are made to Apple.[/quotedc46700bfc]

So by following that logic, if we received the Ipod as a give, from let's say granny, we are not allowed to have customer service help us? That's ridiculous!)

MusicMan

05-10-2004 12:40:00

I think it was actually a wise decision for them to do this. With the recent influx of free iPods people have been getting, the value of iPods have gone down considerably. Hopefull this ploy was what was holding up many of the shipments, and we'll begin to see a steady stream of iPods getting shipped out now that checks and balances are in place.

I3roknI3ottle

05-10-2004 12:48:25

Do they engrave Minis? I ordered a Silver Mini, IDC if its engraved though.... Do they engrave minis? i didnt thnk there was a Metal back...

da

05-10-2004 12:51:35

[quote5dce903e0b="I3roknI3ottle"]Do they engrave Minis? I ordered a Silver Mini, IDC if its engraved though.... Do they engrave minis? i didnt thnk there was a Metal back...[/quote5dce903e0b]
the entire exterior is anodized aluminum, TMK.

DisastirousMurmur

05-10-2004 12:52:45

all u ppl that are complainging are idiots, its FREE ipod, and who cares if it says freeipods on it, i kinda like it, its unique and if it gets stolen u can prove its yours cuz it has free ipods on it. and it looks kinda tight with it.

da

05-10-2004 12:53:41

[quote8535f922e3="DisastirousMurmur"]all u ppl that are complainging are idiots, its FREE ipod, and who cares if it says freeipods on it, i kinda like it, its unique and if it gets stolen u can prove its yours cuz it has free ipods on it. and it looks kinda tight with it.[/quote8535f922e3]
learn to fucking spell for once

tyketto

05-10-2004 13:25:58

This is marketing 101. It was smart for Gratis to do this. It brands the product which THEY PAID FOR. It doesn't harm their reputation. They ordered a batch through Apple and were offered engraving and decided it was a good thing to do. Whoopity Shit.
All you complaining are complaining because you thought you were so smart and found ways to get even more out of the deal by trading it in, selling on eBay, etc. It's a free god damn iPod. Grow the hell up and realize THIS IS A BUSINESS. Gratis has done nothing unethical. People buy $50,000 brand new cars and have to endure the dealership's logo plastered somewhere on the thing.
If you don't like it, cancel your damn orders so I can get my FREE iPod sooner.
What a bunch of whiners.

Oh, and Apple will service any iPod. That comment was ridiculous. These iPods were purchased by Gratis for their customers. Doesn't matter who buys them, they were purchased and come with the same warranty and service any other iPod purchase has.

EatChex89

05-10-2004 13:31:44

i want the ipod, i dont care if its engraved, haha...

set57hike

05-10-2004 13:38:22

I'm not saying that Apple wouldn't honor the warranty. I'm just saying that it is a useful identifier when it comes to making priorities about what limits you might place on satisfying a customer.

This happens all the time in customer service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

set57hike wrote
Maybe the engraving idea was Apple's?

It stops or hinders two things that Apple doesn't want fradulent exchanges with their retailers and reselling on Ebay. It also identifies customers who didn't actually pay for their ipod when customer service complaints are made to Apple.

That would really cross the line of business ethics...

Apple recieved full payment for the iPod (from Gratis)... It's obligated to provide support to the legal owner per the warranty issued with the product.

Your assuming the goods are stolen. We should assume they are legitimately purchased (which all evidence shows).

59lilili 9/15/2004 - Sent to Vendor

mapStuart

05-10-2004 13:47:18

The engraving is something Gratis did when they sent freegiftplanet iPods awhile ago on 3G iPods. Its not a new concept for Gratis, just one that they couldn't utilize until Apple had quantity to sell directly to them. It was something that Gratis probably intended to do from the start, and I for one think it was smart. I look forward to receiving my FIP, regardless of whether it is engraved or not - I hope it is engraved.

Guardian

05-10-2004 13:51:40

hmm i don't really care ... besides i have something to prove where i got it and flip off to my friends! ( nobody believed me and now they are like " so how does it work again?" )

DIGITALgimpus

05-10-2004 13:56:53

[quote11f5678083="tyketto"]This is marketing 101. It was smart for Gratis to do this. It brands the product which THEY PAID FOR. It doesn't harm their reputation. They ordered a batch through Apple and were offered engraving and decided it was a good thing to do. Whoopity Shit.
All you complaining are complaining because you thought you were so smart and found ways to get even more out of the deal by trading it in, selling on eBay, etc. It's a free god damn iPod. Grow the hell up and realize THIS IS A BUSINESS. Gratis has done nothing unethical. People buy $50,000 brand new cars and have to endure the dealership's logo plastered somewhere on the thing. [/quote11f5678083]
Just because it's 'free' (though it's not, most countries would consider it payment for freelance services rendered... only in the US do they decide not to (which menas no tax) since you did a service to give gratis a service).

When you advertise a product, and ship something different (regardless how different), you inherently harm your reputation.

This lowers the value of the iPod.

When the 5th generation comes out, many upgrade... they sell what they have, and put that cash towards a newer model...

this engraved ipod is worth less than an un-engraved ipod.

That means you got something of lower value.

If you don't care about value... that's one thing (we could of course argue that if you really don't care... why don't you just cancel and buy one, since monetary value is not something you regard at all).

[quote11f5678083]Oh, and Apple will service any iPod. That comment was ridiculous. These iPods were purchased by Gratis for their customers. Doesn't matter who buys them, they were purchased and come with the same warranty and service any other iPod purchase has.[/quote11f5678083]
Yes, they will... but engraved ipods take longer to get serviced, becuase they are 'custom'. Especially if they decide to 'replace' rather than repair under warranty.

The un-engraved ipods are worth more, since in the future you can sell it for a larger sum of cash, to spend towards the next generation (now rumored to have WiFi).

fresh27

05-10-2004 14:04:16

[quotec633cb756d="rhernals"]It gets their name out even more, and the only people that are complaining about it are the ones wanting to trade-in or re-sell, which I guarantee are a VERY small percentage.[/quotec633cb756d]

false. im not selling mine, i just dont want shitty extra engraving on the back.

kxvx1988

05-10-2004 14:05:01

whew luckliy i got my hp ipod earlier P

mapStuart

05-10-2004 14:11:41

The "value" is only affected for those that looked at this as a sell/fleabay opportunity. Only then is the value decreased. For myself, if I wanted to buy an iPod it would cost me the same - with ot without an engraving. So value, as always, is in the eye of the beholder.

CollidgeGraduit

05-10-2004 14:16:06

[quoteb4242d1ec6]false. im not selling mine, i just dont want shitty extra engraving on the back.[/quoteb4242d1ec6]

Then buy your own iPod, without engraving. You're pathetic, complaining about engraving on the back of something that cost a few minutes out of your life.

Pusha C

05-10-2004 14:17:29

[quote6dad120e8e="rhernals"]false. im not selling mine, i just dont want shitty extra engraving on the back.[/quote6dad120e8e]

look man, just get an iskin and put it on ur pod and you'll never even notice the engraving.

thehunter1320

05-10-2004 14:21:55

/begin rant
i'm sad that i DIDN'T get an engraved iPod! i would've loved having that on the back everytime i checked my hair in the refection
sure, it lowers the value... but what did you pay for it? huh? what was that? say it louder now... NOTHING!!! a few hours of your time maybe... but thats all! this will not hurt gratis's rep, but improve it... cause now the common folk (IE people who go outside their house and have lives not in cyber space) will know about the service! you people getting engraved ones NEED to stop bitching... were you going to return it to a store? sure... is that wrong? hell yes! you didn't fucking buy it there. you're prolly gonna get the kid who took it fired when they check inventory (maybe... well, prolly not... but i've always wanted to make that argument)
is it ugly? to some people. should you care? sure, an iPod is fucking sexy... but at the end of the day it plays music and is in your pocket 95% of the time... plus if you get a case you never have to fucking see it
In conclusion smart move on Gratis's part, unfortunate they didn't implement this sooner, stop bitching n3wbs. Good Night!!
/end rant

fresh27

05-10-2004 14:26:14

[quote57ae5b631a="rhernals"][quote57ae5b631a]false. im not selling mine, i just dont want shitty extra engraving on the back.[/quote57ae5b631a]

Then buy your own iPod, without engraving. You're pathetic, complaining about engraving on the back of something that cost a few minutes out of your life.[/quote57ae5b631a]

i already have an ipod without an engraving. its probably better than these stupid engraved ones.

DIGITALgimpus

05-10-2004 14:47:25

[quotefbdd832cfd="mapStuart"]The "value" is only affected for those that looked at this as a sell/fleabay opportunity. Only then is the value decreased. For myself, if I wanted to buy an iPod it would cost me the same - with ot without an engraving. So value, as always, is in the eye of the beholder.[/quotefbdd832cfd]
Some people actually think Dell's are worth the prices Dell charges for it... some go as far as calling it a 'bargan'.

Then again... if you know anything about PC's, you'd know it's far from.

kxvx1988

05-10-2004 15:00:27

can you guys just brushed the back?

jmalm

05-10-2004 15:03:43

Whining about something you get for [b6942539efe]FREE[/b6942539efe]... The true definition of an [b6942539efe]UNGRATEFUL SPOILED BRAT[/b6942539efe]

BlingKing

05-10-2004 15:09:34

[quote8351138126="rhernals"][quote8351138126]false. im not selling mine, i just dont want shitty extra engraving on the back.[/quote8351138126]

Then buy your own iPod, without engraving. You're pathetic, complaining about engraving on the back of something that cost a few minutes out of your life.[/quote8351138126]

A few thousand minuites of my life... I dont really care about the ingraving though, it still has the same function.

Da_KilLa

05-10-2004 16:00:02

[quote67e318a517="DIGITALgimpus"][quote67e318a517="tyketto"]This is marketing 101. It was smart for Gratis to do this. It brands the product which THEY PAID FOR. It doesn't harm their reputation. They ordered a batch through Apple and were offered engraving and decided it was a good thing to do. Whoopity Shit.
All you complaining are complaining because you thought you were so smart and found ways to get even more out of the deal by trading it in, selling on eBay, etc. It's a free god damn iPod. Grow the hell up and realize THIS IS A BUSINESS. Gratis has done nothing unethical. People buy $50,000 brand new cars and have to endure the dealership's logo plastered somewhere on the thing. [/quote67e318a517]
Just because it's 'free' (though it's not, most countries would consider it payment for freelance services rendered... only in the US do they decide not to (which menas no tax) since you did a service to give gratis a service).

When you advertise a product, and ship something different (regardless how different), you inherently harm your reputation.

This lowers the value of the iPod.

When the 5th generation comes out, many upgrade... they sell what they have, and put that cash towards a newer model...

this engraved ipod is worth less than an un-engraved ipod.

That means you got something of lower value.

If you don't care about value... that's one thing (we could of course argue that if you really don't care... why don't you just cancel and buy one, since monetary value is not something you regard at all).

[quote67e318a517]Oh, and Apple will service any iPod. That comment was ridiculous. These iPods were purchased by Gratis for their customers. Doesn't matter who buys them, they were purchased and come with the same warranty and service any other iPod purchase has.[/quote67e318a517]
Yes, they will... but engraved ipods take longer to get serviced, becuase they are 'custom'. Especially if they decide to 'replace' rather than repair under warranty.

The un-engraved ipods are worth more, since in the future you can sell it for a larger sum of cash, to spend towards the next generation (now rumored to have WiFi).[/quote67e318a517]
For the last time They are offering a Free iPod. They are giving you a free iPod. If they are advertising they are improving their name. This offer was never ment to just be sold but just had. Gratis is improving their image by Prooving to everybody that its legit. Are you actuially thinking about this?

xyclonez

05-10-2004 16:08:16

[quote721be49aa9="kxvx1988"]can you guys just brushed the back?[/quote721be49aa9]

i was thinking the same thing.. just buff or brush it off.

mtbaird5687

05-10-2004 16:42:09

the ONLY thing i care about is if i can still use my warrenty to get a new one if the one i get breaks

lizerauti

05-10-2004 16:58:22

Wow, Gratis's little ploy has caused some commotion. I personally don not want this stupid little 'freeiPods.com' engraved on the back, and I wasn't planning on selling/trading it either. It just makes it look cheap and crappy. And yeah, so what if I'm nit picky like that? All of you people flaming the others pointing this out are the real fucktards. Everyone has their own opinion, some people don't care, and others do.

So quit saying stupid shit like "oMG its FREEE u fukin NOOB stop bitchin!!1"

(And look at this, Gratis made the freeipod community hostile, thanks a lot jerks!)

yiluncn

05-10-2004 17:01:10

GOD! Can't they just engrave your name on it instead of the freeipod.com~!!!!!!!!!!!

Da_KilLa

05-10-2004 17:05:19

Is gratis still Ordering through e-cost or pcmall or whatever. If so then Mabye only this batch has the advertising. If we could have custom engraving that would be kinda alright though.

lizerauti

05-10-2004 17:09:02

[quote22d505b045="Da_KilLa"]Is gratis still Ordering through e-cost or pcmall or whatever. If so then Mabye only this batch has the advertising. If we could have custom engraving that would be kinda alright though.[/quote22d505b045]

Custom engraving? Yeah thats likely. At this rate their probably planning to add

"freeiPods.com

Don't forget to visit
freeflatscreens.com
freedesktoppc.com &
freehandbags.com

And practice safe sex!
freecondoms.com"

ThisSunAlsoRises

05-10-2004 17:10:14

what next? are they gonna ghost an image onto the flatscreens or carve freedesktoppc.com into the comps??

maestro

05-10-2004 17:15:32

A nice logo of FreeHandBags.com branded on the Coach handbag. Now wouldn't that be stylish. ;P

Inspecta

05-10-2004 18:07:26

Personally I feel this engraving is tacky and hurts the integrity of the service because they never mentioned anything about receiving the engraving. I could care less about the value, but I understand what people are saying in how it hurts the ability for someone to resell. And there is nothing morally wrong with selling an iPod received from Gratis. It wasn't stolen and people made quite a bit of money for Gratis in doing the work to get the ipod; it's a legitimate business deal, except the working party gets something which is different from what the agreement specified.
It's just a terrible whoring ploy on Gratis' side to try to spread the word more about their service, even though it puts a tarnish on it.
I'm not going to turn my ipod back when I receive it, but I'm simply saying the way they do operations is shady, for all the effort we put into making them millions.

danfromabove

05-10-2004 18:23:53

ok lets stop bitching about whether its a good move by freeipods.com or not. i just want to sell mine and get a 40, i dont think its being greedy on my part its just that the 20 doesnt have enough space i could care less about the engraving. anyways, suppose you got the engraved ipod and brushed the back as per ( http//members.optusnet.com.au/brushedipod/ ), which apparently does not void the warranty (check that site out). then you put it in a soft sack of some kind and shocked the hard drive to break it. send it back for warranty and they wouldnt know it was engraved? so apple sends you a working new one that you could then sell. hmm well its sounds like a hell of a lot of work but does anybody think that would work?

-dan

DScala

05-10-2004 19:41:15

If you intentionally break a product in the name of vanity, why should the company send you a new one?

C'mon, if it's engraved, put it in a case and enjoy it. Big deal if you can't sell it, it's free.

Ravatar

05-10-2004 21:52:20

[b0361710dd5]Incorrect.[/b0361710dd5]

"FreeiPods" are [b0361710dd5]not[/b0361710dd5] free. You completing an offer and getting 5 others to complete are your payment for your "FreeiPod". Gratis is getting in [b0361710dd5]excess[/b0361710dd5] of $300 when it comes down to it, even more in some cases, therefore they are [b0361710dd5]not[/b0361710dd5] providing a "free" service. If the iPod was "free" you would enter your address and they would mail you one. But as you know there is no such thing as free lunch. Nonetheless, this is [b0361710dd5]not[/b0361710dd5] a free item and it is ridiculous that they edit your item (when my order was sent in for a "brand new stock 20GB iPod") and you accept that. How would you like it if you walk into Best Buy and they have an offer for a new CD, where after mail in rebate it is free. The catch, however, is that in between each track there is a 1 minute commercial for Best Buy. But Best Buy wrote NOWHERE that this CD would include the advertisement, they even said it would be brand new stock. How would you feel then?

I don't doubt anyone for being outraged that they didn't not receive what they were promised. I avoided the hPod because i didn't want unnecessary branding on my product. Now I have to click hPod and pray that i get a non "freeipods.com" branded one since at least HP tag is much less unnecessary than "freeipods.com" in WHITE TEXT on the back. Ridiculous.

I3roknI3ottle

05-10-2004 22:02:18

"OMY2dafukinGOSHERZ" IT SAYS "FreeIpods.com!!"

Phbs83

05-10-2004 22:10:15

[quote552976430c="Ravatar"][b552976430c]Incorrect.[/b552976430c]

"FreeiPods" are [b552976430c]not[/b552976430c] free. You completing an offer and getting 5 others to complete are your payment for your "FreeiPod". Gratis is getting in [b552976430c]excess[/b552976430c] of $300 when it comes down to it, even more in some cases, therefore they are [b552976430c]not[/b552976430c] providing a "free" service. If the iPod was "free" you would enter your address and they would mail you one. But as you know there is no such thing as free lunch. Nonetheless, this is [b552976430c]not[/b552976430c] a free item and it is ridiculous that they edit your item (when my order was sent in for a "brand new stock 20GB iPod") and you accept that. How would you like it if you walk into Best Buy and they have an offer for a new CD, where after mail in rebate it is free. The catch, however, is that in between each track there is a 1 minute commercial for Best Buy. But Best Buy wrote NOWHERE that this CD would include the advertisement, they even said it would be brand new stock. How would you feel then?

I don't doubt anyone for being outraged that they didn't not receive what they were promised. I avoided the hPod because i didn't want unnecessary branding on my product. Now I have to click hPod and pray that i get a non "freeipods.com" branded one since at least HP tag is much less unnecessary than "freeipods.com" in WHITE TEXT on the back. Ridiculous.[/quote552976430c]

I`m also against the engraving, and I really hope I get an hPod. But... Same thing happens with GSM phones. I`m sure you have seen the T-Mobile, or AT&T, or Cingular logo on most of the new phones. Do they warn you about it? No. Do they have to? No. Does it actually matter? Don`t think so, you have the phone, and it's working. Is it ugly - well, yeah, especially on some of the new phones with a "stranger" design (see Nokia 7610). But can you do anything about it? No, and you wouldn`t mind, because the actual phone comes (for almost every case) free.

Ravatar

05-10-2004 22:17:56

Yes my sprint phone has their symbol on it, however I mind "sprint" being on my phone much less than a "freeipods.com" plastered onto it. iPods are just as much about status as any other piece of pop culture nowadays. How would you like your abercrombie shirt to have a huge "Wal-Mart" symbol across the back of it?

fredward

05-10-2004 22:31:24

This wouldn't be nearly a big a deal if they had done this from the beginning (which I assume wasn't possible through eCost.com)

The main problem is that they just did this out of the blue (without mentioning anything about it at ALL) after sending out regular iPods up until now.

I, too, wonder if this huge delay for the early August orders such as myself is somehow related to this engraving fiasco. Maybe the delay was caused my the engravings, or maybe they got the engravings done because it was going to take a while anyway; who knows.

Anyway, I don't care anymore. I plan on using a case, and it will be fun to show off my free $400 Canadian item.

Da_KilLa

05-10-2004 22:37:04

[quote277941ea89="Ravatar"]Yes my sprint phone has their symbol on it, however I mind "sprint" being on my phone much less than a "freeipods.com" plastered onto it. iPods are just as much about status as any other piece of pop culture nowadays. How would you like your abercrombie shirt to have a huge "Wal-Mart" symbol across the back of it?[/quote277941ea89]LOL

Phbs83

05-10-2004 22:42:56

Lol, that would really suck. But still, it's not like they`re engraving the HandBags also)

mapStuart

05-10-2004 23:25:38

[quote9c779b34bb="fredward"]The main problem is that they just did this out of the blue (without mentioning anything about it at ALL) after sending out regular iPods up until now. [/quote9c779b34bb]Actually they did engrave the iPods they send out through freegiftplanet - so it wasn't ENTIRELY out of the blue. Certainly most folks didn't know this, but there was precedent for Gratis to do so. I figured they eventually would engrave them when supply was high enough directly from Apple to do so.

tetro

06-10-2004 00:08:20

[quote6e6b21cf99]How would you like it if you walk into Best Buy and they have an offer for a new CD, where after mail in rebate it is free. The catch, however, is that in between each track there is a 1 minute commercial for Best Buy. But Best Buy wrote NOWHERE that this CD would include the advertisement, they even said it would be brand new stock. How would you feel then? [/quote6e6b21cf99]

Your analogy is flawed. If Best Buy chose to do that, then the functionality of the CD is changed.

You don't pay for an iPod, but you do pay for the services and goods provided by Gratis' affiliates. Gratis gets paid, but you don't directly give them a dime.

Da_KilLa

06-10-2004 00:18:22

How about this comparison. Everyone has arms but you. You want arms so you go to the doctor. He will give you arms if you "service" him. You do so and you'r arms say "i just suked dr john and all i got were these arms". kinda sucks but you still got the arms right? I Don't know.
idea oops

Inspecta

06-10-2004 04:35:53

HAH, best analogy yet.

Santa

06-10-2004 05:00:12

[quoteb54f30f489="Da_KilLa"]How about this comparison. Everyone has arms but you. You want arms so you go to the doctor. He will give you arms if you "service" him. You do so and you'r arms say "i just suked dr john and all i got were these arms". kinda sucks but you still got the arms right? I Don't know.
idea oops[/quoteb54f30f489]

It is better to shut up than speak and look stupid.

CollidgeGraduit

06-10-2004 05:13:09

Good idea. Get to it, Santa.

Fugger

06-10-2004 08:46:41

roll Is it really that big of an issue? The iPod is free.

By the definition of "Oh I spent my time getting an iPod! Time is money!" who the hell are you? Your time isn't worth that much. The fact that you are screaming in here about the iPod proves it.

If you don't like it, go to another place where you can get an iPod for free. Oh wait, I forgot, there are none.

If you went to a local radio broadcast and got a free T-Shirt would you complain because the radio station logo is on it? If you sign up to win a car and get a free hat and the car company's logo is on it do you complain? That is part of the deal that you agree to when you get your free shit.

Putting the engraving doesn't change the RETAIL value of the iPod but it could potentially effect the RESALE value. You decide what you want to do with your FREE iPod.

In closing, go read my favorite book.

http//seaburn.com/blackbooksplus/cry%20me.jpg[" alt=""/img06474dda1a]

Anonymous

06-10-2004 08:55:27

rofl Fugger where do you find these pics?

Anonymous

06-10-2004 08:58:08

The guys complaining are gay.

hacktek

06-10-2004 09:13:05

Who cares if they're engraved, i'm just gonna put an iskin on it and that's it

fresh27

06-10-2004 09:22:24

Da_KilLa has a really good analogy D

shifuimam

06-10-2004 10:02:21

I would imagine that they will continue doing it. If they didn't, people would go back to returning them, which is losing money for places like Costco and Best Buy since you didn't actually buy them there. I would imagine that through this forum and other websites, Gratis has figured out what's going on.

Think about it...every time someone brings back an iPod that wasn't purchased at Best Buy, the Apple Store, etc, that store is losing $299 + tax on each returned iPod. That's a big enough loss that I'm sure it's in Gratis' best legal interests to continue engraving even after the free offer is gone.

DIGITALgimpus

06-10-2004 11:45:00

[quote2b44558b3c="shifuimam"]I would imagine that they will continue doing it. If they didn't, people would go back to returning them, which is losing money for places like Costco and Best Buy since you didn't actually buy them there. I would imagine that through this forum and other websites, Gratis has figured out what's going on.

Think about it...every time someone brings back an iPod that wasn't purchased at Best Buy, the Apple Store, etc, that store is losing $299 + tax on each returned iPod. That's a big enough loss that I'm sure it's in Gratis' best legal interests to continue engraving even after the free offer is gone.[/quote2b44558b3c]
Wow, that's far from true.

Every time someone brings one back, they pay out $299... but they gain $299 in inventory.

They give only store credit... so you have to give the money back to them.

In essence they loose nothing but the 30 seconds it takes the transaction to occur.

Odds are your exchanging for something more expensive (since it's only store credit, not cash). So they actually make a sale they wouldn't have otherwise.

For the stores, it's easy money... it's a sale they didn't need to work to get.

For Gratis, once they ship the product, it doesn't matter. As long as the promotion is attractive, and keeps people participating, they make money. It's when people view Gratis as a shady company, or someone who tries to take advantage that they loose.

turpentinedreams

06-10-2004 15:57:26

h'ok, didn't finish the thread but if you don't liek the ipod wip out some 800+ grit sand paper and use them elbows. then use some mother mag& aluminum polish. voila kickass ipod.

PallarAndersVisa

06-10-2004 15:58:54

how would best buy/apple store ect even know that your iPod is engraved, when its completley sealed (unless they open it themselves to check) ?

fresh27

06-10-2004 16:16:53

the serial code that starts with a P means personalized.

PallarAndersVisa

06-10-2004 16:18:19

ah

well maybe you can still get some good money for it on ebay

yiluncn

06-10-2004 16:41:07

yeah, I would buy it for a cheaper price!)

PaulAnthonyGerdes@yahoo

06-10-2004 17:41:29

[quote925eff3228="DIGITALgimpus"][quote925eff3228="shifuimam"]I would imagine that they will continue doing it. If they didn't, people would go back to returning them, which is losing money for places like Costco and Best Buy since you didn't actually buy them there. I would imagine that through this forum and other websites, Gratis has figured out what's going on.

Think about it...every time someone brings back an iPod that wasn't purchased at Best Buy, the Apple Store, etc, that store is losing $299 + tax on each returned iPod. That's a big enough loss that I'm sure it's in Gratis' best legal interests to continue engraving even after the free offer is gone.[/quote925eff3228]
Wow, that's far from true.

Every time someone brings one back, they pay out $299... but they gain $299 in inventory.

They give only store credit... so you have to give the money back to them.

In essence they loose nothing but the 30 seconds it takes the transaction to occur.

Odds are your exchanging for something more expensive (since it's only store credit, not cash). So they actually make a sale they wouldn't have otherwise.

For the stores, it's easy money... it's a sale they didn't need to work to get.

For Gratis, once they ship the product, it doesn't matter. As long as the promotion is attractive, and keeps people participating, they make money. It's when people view Gratis as a shady company, or someone who tries to take advantage that they loose.[/quote925eff3228]

very true, if BB didnt like the concept, they wouldnt do it. They know that you probably arent gonna buy something there thay is EXACTLY what the trade in cost, if its less, you'll come back and spend the rest later (and most likely go over the limit) and if its more, they make the difference. Not a hard concept to grasp.

mts243

06-10-2004 17:56:16

Guys, no where on the website does it say 'stock' ipod anyway...and are people that vain where they will care about a freeipods.com ingraving?

lizerauti

06-10-2004 18:10:28

Isnt there a chance that a NOOB salesperson wont know the difference between the P and the normal one M?

thehunter1320

06-10-2004 18:21:47

[quoteae4933b260="lizerauti"]Isnt there a chance that a NOOB salesperson wont know the difference between the P and the normal one M?[/quoteae4933b260]

the scanners will know

eglchick

06-10-2004 19:42:43

[quote85ccf50b79]Isnt there a chance that a NOOB salesperson wont know the difference between the P and the normal one M?[/quote85ccf50b79]

i just got a visual of some internet geek returning their freeipods ipod at best buy, talking the sales person into it, then running out the door with their store credit yelling N00B!

Lurk

06-10-2004 19:53:24

ROFL is there a video or something?

mtbaird5687

06-10-2004 20:01:43

we can stilll use these with our warrenties if somethign messes up right?

eglchick

06-10-2004 20:07:01

yes, warranties are still valid, but word on the street is that it can take a bit longer, especially if they just end up sending you a new ipod, as they have to return it engraved exactly as your original one was.

Lurk

06-10-2004 20:18:46

when i take pics of my ipod.. I'm gonna put a paper behind it with a big 'F U GRATIS'

CollidgeGraduit

06-10-2004 20:21:35

Yeah, Lurk, stick it to them! You'll sure show Gratis! roll

yunier2002

06-10-2004 20:52:49

What's the first thing that you have to do when you sign up for FIP? That's right, accept the TOS, and the TOS says that they don't have to even send you an ipod and they can change anything without letting you know first. That means that if you signed up you agreed with those terms and you can't complain about it. Another thing, when you "BUY" a new car, that's right, "BUY", not getting it for free the dealer put their logo on the back of the car and you don't care about it so why are you whining about this, does the ipod cost more than the car? NO right. Last thing for you that are complaining, they are not putting a gun in your head and tellling you to accept the engraving. If you don't like it just put a case on it or go and buy one and stop the fucking complain. I wish mine had come with the engrave.

kei

06-10-2004 21:17:10

hm I was wondering why the P was there in the referance # in my fedex tracking thing. I don't really care about having the engraving becuase I'm not taking my ipod out of my house untill I get my artic iskin so that's not a problem... however, it is a problem when I want to sell my ipod when (or if) a 5th generation comes out. I'm also wondering if you could make a request to apple when you return your ipod for a new one or whatever to not put on the past engraving?

soldiery

06-10-2004 21:21:33

I really like the engraving, I think it gives the ipod character. I can then show my friends. HA! I was able to receive a free ipod for doing nothing but writing a simple c++ script using PHP and MYSQL.

I love free things.

Da_KilLa

06-10-2004 21:30:52

[quote307b772476="yunier2002"]What's the first thing that you have to do when you sign up for FIP? That's right, accept the TOS, and the TOS says that they don't have to even send you an ipod and they can change anything without letting you know first. That means that if you signed up you agreed with those terms and you can't complain about it. Another thing, when you "BUY" a new car, that's right, "BUY", not getting it for free the dealer put their logo on the back of the car and you don't care about it so why are you whining about this, does the ipod cost more than the car? NO right. Last thing for you that are complaining, they are not putting a gun in your head and tellling you to accept the engraving. If you don't like it just put a case on it or go and buy one and stop the fucking complain. I wish mine had come with the engrave.[/quote307b772476]
Actuially you don't have to agree with the terms of service. the first check box on their signup page is for the "promotional spam" and all you have to do to get an account is put in your e-mail and password then quit and you can log in. I'm not really sure how this could benifit me though??

jesterfx

07-10-2004 00:54:09

I'm not too excited about the engraving either. Although I don't mind them "customizing" it a bit, the engraving looks to be a little cheesy. I would much rather have a logo on it such as the HP on on the HP models...though not sure what that takes and whether it can be done "after market".

I did plan on taking mine to best buy or somewhere to exchange it for the 40 and still might try anyway even if I get an engraved one. If I can't get it past the return desk person because of the code I might just go buy one outright with cash, get a receipt and then take it back but take back my engraved one. They never seem to check things as good when you have a receipt and it is still factory sealed P.

The other thing is xmas season is coming real fast...most stores get very lenient on returns/store credits during that time so with the huge rush you will probably have no problem exchanging/getting store credit. Though the lines will suck heh.

I would rather have one that isn't engraved but I don't mind that much. It just makes upgrading a bit trickier heheh.

ksg

07-10-2004 04:21:31

[quoteccde741aca="soldiery"]HA! I was able to receive a free ipod for doing nothing but writing a simple c++ script using PHP and MYSQL.[/quoteccde741aca]

LOL, stop trying to show off. C++ has nothing to do with PHP. C++ is application based (client-side) and PHP runs from the server and is a web page type of applcation (server-side).

DIGITALgimpus

07-10-2004 04:44:56

[quote9d1c42ef5c="ksg"][quote9d1c42ef5c="soldiery"]HA! I was able to receive a free ipod for doing nothing but writing a simple c++ script using PHP and MYSQL.[/quote9d1c42ef5c]

LOL, stop trying to show off. C++ has nothing to do with PHP. C++ is application based (client-side) and PHP runs from the server and is a web page type of applcation (server-side).[/quote9d1c42ef5c]
You could of course write an extension to PHP.

Or just use a system() to call a C++ script... it's an easy way (if you do it securely) to provide a web interface to a non-web based unix script/application, such as a C++ app.

blue

07-10-2004 05:10:05

If this forum didn't exist, and you were just Joe Schmoe who went and signed up at freeipods.com, sat back and waited, then (a few months later) got an iPod with an engraving on the back, you'd probably rip open the box and say "Oh, look - it is engraved with freeipods.com. Hm." You might care a little, but probably wouldn't care much. After all, it was free.

We are a subset of the majority of freeipods.com users - those who really take the time to think about the whole process, maximize our gain from it, minimize our loss. We are the obsessors. lol

A lot of the issues I think people have with the engraving is that they saw that other people got unengraved ones, and that is what they were liexpecting.li If Gratis had, say, made an announcement that all future iPods would be engraved, but that those who had already placed orders would have them filled with plain iPods, would you feel any better? Would it seem more "fair" to be told up front that it would be engraved?

Would you have still gone through the process knowing it would be engraved from the start? I would have.

It's this feeling of having been "baited and switched" that I think has people feeling pissed at Gratis. Yes, in reality they didn't promise anything! But, because of this forum, we know people have been getting unengraved iPods and hPods. So we expect that, and then we are (possibly) let down.

It's the same reason people don't want an hPod. All it is is a logo. But in our consumer culture, that is all-important. Check out adbusters dot com.

blue