iPod Battery

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=1129

Santa

04-10-2004 17:39:56

After the period where you can't charge it anymore, my friend told me that it is possible to replace it for not a so high price. I am in Canada so I dunno probably some local stores that are doing it for a cheap price. Anyway just wanted to let you guys know that the battery is replaceable after it dies.

yiluncn

04-10-2004 17:53:44

I have another Q 2, do u have to charge the ipod for 12 hrs or something like that the first time u charge it?
is that good if u charge it full and use it all, and then charge it full again and so on?

Ace

04-10-2004 18:01:55

im pretty sure, a full charge is only 4 hours, so that should be all u need to charge it for the first time, unless your all paranoid about battery memory like my parents /

MusicMan

04-10-2004 18:12:59

http//www.ipodbattery.com/

Still pretty expensive if you ask me, considering how costly the iPod itself is. No complaints on cost here tho )

rosenduger

04-10-2004 18:27:37

$39.00, expensive? with installation instructions and tools, and a one year warranty. i'd say that's pretty damn cheap, especially compared to the $100 the apple charges.
if you buy rechargeable AA batteries and a charger, it's going to cost you near $30, so this doesn't sound too bad.

...didn't mean to sound like an ass, sorry if it came out that way.

MusicMan

04-10-2004 19:21:34

If I spent $400 on an item, I better damn well not witness the battery die after 18 months...ESPECIALLY when it costs $40 to replace (assuming you have the know-how to replace it yourself). Yes, it's cheaper than what Apple was charging, but that's still an additional $40 on the already hefty price.

AA batteries are cheaper than $30, last longer, and can be used in more than just an iPod.

rosenduger

04-10-2004 19:48:54

i certainly hope you wouldn't be spending $400 on one of these ipods...unless you're thinking of a 40gig. but since we're getting them free, it's basically like you're spending $40 on an ipod that just happens to come with an extra battery. that's just how i look at it...

PaulAnthonyGerdes@yahoo

04-10-2004 19:51:35

[quote11c5c61084="yiluncn"]I have another Q 2, do u have to charge the ipod for 12 hrs or something like that the first time u charge it?
is that good if u charge it full and use it all, and then charge it full again and so on?[/quote11c5c61084]

no and no....
you can recharge a lithium-ion battery whenever you want, without the full charge or discharge cycle (w/ nickel-based batteries you have to fully charge/discharge to keep the battery at full potential, whereas litium-ion will always fully charge no matter if you start at 99% power or from dead)

heres somethin on the charge cycle from apple website

"A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle. Each time you complete a charge cycle, it diminishes battery capacity slightly, but you can put both notebook and iPod batteries through many charge cycles before they will only hold 80% of original battery capacity."

and one more piece of goodness

"A properly maintained iPod battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity after 400 full charge and discharge cycles."

PallarAndersVisa

04-10-2004 20:07:47

40 bucks isnt expensive at all for a battery that lasts as long as it does.

hell, radio shack charges 10 bucks for TWO AA nimh batteries, and those lasted me over 3 years in my sony CD walkman

quit bitching and get jobs!

yiluncn

04-10-2004 20:16:52

thanks, now I'm hoping they will send my ipod faster....!!!!

[quote731e1df855="PaulAnthonyGerdes@yahoo"][quote731e1df855="yiluncn"]I have another Q 2, do u have to charge the ipod for 12 hrs or something like that the first time u charge it?
is that good if u charge it full and use it all, and then charge it full again and so on?[/quote731e1df855]

no and no....
you can recharge a lithium-ion battery whenever you want, without the full charge or discharge cycle (w/ nickel-based batteries you have to fully charge/discharge to keep the battery at full potential, whereas litium-ion will always fully charge no matter if you start at 99% power or from dead)

heres somethin on the charge cycle from apple website

"A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle. Each time you complete a charge cycle, it diminishes battery capacity slightly, but you can put both notebook and iPod batteries through many charge cycles before they will only hold 80% of original battery capacity."

and one more piece of goodness

"A properly maintained iPod battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity after 400 full charge and discharge cycles."[/quote731e1df855]

EatChex89

04-10-2004 20:47:03

you can replace it yourself...

i have this mac addict magazine that tells you how... if you want i'll put the issue date on here and then you can order it from the backissues on their site or w/e....

i mean that'd be WAY cheaper... but you CAN ruin your iPod...

PaulAnthonyGerdes@yahoo

05-10-2004 05:17:57

why risk that over 40 fucking bucks, thats bullshit, drop 40 bones, ipods rock, and if you fry your harddrive trying to take the battery off it, you gotta pay another couple hundred if you want another, and you really woulnt save much more.