Blank UMD's?

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=10854

reftrader007

05-04-2005 12:40:32

Is is possible that Sony will release a blank or rewritable form of UMD disks? After all, alot of complaints about the psps are centered around the fact that the PSP has no hard drive and Memory Sticks are wildly expensive at the moment. Blank UMD's would allow the psps to be a much more versatile entertainment device.

shortys408

05-04-2005 13:04:31

would also cause piracy /

DCJoeDog

05-04-2005 13:13:16

How exactly would you go about BURNING these blank UMD's

Last time I looked my DVD burner didn't except UMD as a media to burn on?

We would need dedicated buners that would do just that, burn UMD's and nothing else. which is kinda dumb when youthink about it.

adam254

05-04-2005 13:20:28

Well it does have a USB port and it would be neat if the PSP had some firmware upgrade which you could transfer files from your computer to the PSP and the PSP could write to the UMD. But I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

glacier505

05-04-2005 14:21:04

[quote0d861b4cce="DCJoeDog"]How exactly would you go about BURNING these blank UMD's

Last time I looked my DVD burner didn't except UMD as a media to burn on?

We would need dedicated buners that would do just that, burn UMD's and nothing else. which is kinda dumb when youthink about it.[/quote0d861b4cce]

it could happen. It could actually work out to be like the new zip drive, a new 1.8GB UMD format disc that is really universal. Sure it would open the sony PSP to piracy, but it is already open to piracy, its just a lot harder for pirates to crack, than it would be with the blank UMDs. But although it would open the PSP to piracy to an even further extent, it would surely boost Sony's profits by a significant margin. Just think, a UMD drive/burner in every home, or large manufacturers putting out movies, games, music, household applications, etc. on a portable UMD disc. Its very possible.

splattered

05-04-2005 14:51:11

Yeah biggest worry is piracy im sure. Who knows, maybe with a firmware change or teeny tiny modchip people will be able to burn mini dvd-rs and play em in the psp.

keithb

05-04-2005 19:07:30

Maybe, but I bet we see games playable off a memory stick first.

TaterSalad

05-04-2005 20:01:28

Xbox games are burned in a way where they cannot be read in PC cd/dvd drives, only xbox drives. The data is burned 'backwards' in a sense. That didnt stop pirates from hacking the xbox.

splattered

05-04-2005 20:09:36

Yup, but i dont really see the point in games being playable off of a memory stick even being useful... umd discs are 1.8gb and there are 2gb sticks lion their wayli

It would be cheaper to burn to mini dvdr's make more sense too. Although im sure youre right, itll probably happen first

chillywilly

06-04-2005 13:29:33

Burning UMDs...

My friend at work and I have been talking about how much that would open up the PSP and make it the most popular game system around.

As for piracy, yeah... that's inevitible, but that's going to happen regardless of being able to easily burn UMDs.

I would love to see this possibility and even if blanks were $3 each and burners were $100, I'd buy in.

PodTopia

06-04-2005 14:08:09

It won't happen, Sony's discussed it already. Piracy's the biggest issue at stake here. Games could be copied, easily swapped, and would completely ruin Sony's business. Memory Stick Pro Duo's are at 1GB now, but UMDs are at 1.8, so they can't be copied. Soon Memory Stick Pro Duo's are coming to 2GB, so I wonder if developers will illegally put copies on the net for downloads to memory cards. I've always wonder why when you go under "games" in the PSP's menu, it shows "Memory Stick". When you click it, it says there aren't any games available on it...

glacier505

06-04-2005 19:09:19

[quotefe49ea2b4a="PodTopia"]It won't happen, Sony's discussed it already. Piracy's the biggest issue at stake here. Games could be copied, easily swapped, and would completely ruin Sony's business. Memory Stick Pro Duo's are at 1GB now, but UMDs are at 1.8, so they can't be copied. Soon Memory Stick Pro Duo's are coming to 2GB, so I wonder if developers will illegally put copies on the net for downloads to memory cards. I've always wonder why when you go under "games" in the PSP's menu, it shows "Memory Stick". When you click it, it says there aren't any games available on it...[/quotefe49ea2b4a]

It would not completely ruin Sony's Business. The profit they make off of the expanded use of the UMD discs by other manufacturers and companies would outweigh any loss they get from piracy by far.

bruman

06-04-2005 20:45:38

ha, psp game on a memory card? wouldnt that end up being even more expensive then actually buying a game?
PSP games are probably like 1gb and below.... so that would be like $120 for 1 game

d2n19

06-04-2005 20:54:52

not really dude, you could just store the games on the computer. And just treat the chip as an umd disk. I mean you would just have to play one game. But of course the best and only option is to actually buy the games )

Allen626

06-04-2005 21:20:18

You cant flash a read only drive with a firmware upgrade to become a rewritable drive.

The reason xbox was hacked so fast is that it is a computer and acts just like one. Simple bios hack and bam you make all the signed xbe's work and just read it from the xbox.

Im sure there will be PSP piracy through the network, I mean you can already hack the web explorer. 1.8 -> 1 gig is not that hard just cut the movies and if you need to making a game 2 discs is not hard to do.

The psp sucks because

a) It is made by Sony (very shitty company)
b) It is way too expensive
c) It has way to many dead pixels
d) It is not even that powerful for the price
e) The games all sux ass
f) It is made by Sony
g) Memory cards are too expensive
h) No HDD (I mean WTF!!!)
i) Portable game system that is not made by Nintendo

And its one good thing is...a wireless adapter.

Phbs83

06-04-2005 21:36:35

Dude, do you live in the XXIst century??
Sucks because it's not made by Nintendo!?!?!? Have you actually compared the DS to the PSP? I didn't know you could watch dvd-quality movies/listen to music/look at pictures with the DS.
Not that powerful for the price??? What do you expect? p4HT/AMD64?!?!?!
Games suck - hm, in the first 2 weeks I'm sure DS's games were WAY worse, and they STILL are...

P.S. Read the DS vs PSP topic a couple of threads below this one, you'll find some nice things to think about

Allen626

06-04-2005 22:10:29

[quotec8eb144278="Phbs83"]Dude, do you live in the XXIst century??
Sucks because it's not made by Nintendo!?!?!? Have you actually compared the DS to the PSP? I didn't know you could watch dvd-quality movies/listen to music/look at pictures with the DS.
Not that powerful for the price??? What do you expect? p4HT/AMD64?!?!?!
Games suck - hm, in the first 2 weeks I'm sure DS's games were WAY worse, and they STILL are...

P.S. Read the DS vs PSP topic a couple of threads below this one, you'll find some nice things to think about[/quotec8eb144278]

To be honest, I would prefer a PSP over a DS. I just dont like the psp for some odd reason, perhaps it is the insane price of 250$? More then I can get 2 xbox's for. Oh, and the retarded propierty memory cards?

Also it is not a handheld system without Zelda on it. There really has not been one bad handheld Zelda game. Give me the old GameBoy (I mean the really really old clunky black and white one) and the origanal Zelda and ill be happy for days. I just dont think psp is going to have that, although if what I hear about FF7 I will hopefully be proven wrong. Seems too much like the GP32.

josiah296

07-04-2005 07:09:45

IDEA!

Since the PSP has USB 2 support, why not plug in your iPod to the PSP. Then you could dump all the video and files you want on your iPod and just watch it on your psp.

2 gb sticks just aren't gonna be big enough for me.

Mx34u

07-04-2005 14:23:24

Heres an interview that will put some ?'s to and end. http//tinyurl.com/44wx7

TaterSalad

07-04-2005 15:29:30

A little bit off topic, but did you know you can play multiplayer between two psps with only one game? Check it out.

http//www.psphacker.com/2005/04/psp-multiplayer-with-one-game.html

kaymin

07-04-2005 15:41:19

[quoteb34c7290ca="TaterSalad"]A little bit off topic, but did you know you can play multiplayer between two psps with only one game? Check it out.

http//www.psphacker.com/2005/04/psp-multiplayer-with-one-game.html[/quoteb34c7290ca]

only some games support it but ya its like the ds's download play. Another thing is the usb to ipod won't work without a firmware change becuase its already been tried and all it does is lets the ipod look inside the psp's memory card and nothing else. THe thing i wanna see is a cable type thing that ends in a memory duo and the other end is like usb or something so you can hook it up to an ipod or something!!

Lunarpancake

08-04-2005 03:20:45

i beleive in japan they already released UMD writers. Atleast i remember reading about the UMD small discs somewhere..and it was non psp related

josiah296

08-04-2005 07:55:23

dang, if they could figure out a way to have the PSP browse the contents of your iPod. Now that would rock.