Pre-paid credit cards

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=10493

oddyrock

01-04-2005 15:49:02

A lot of my friends are a little iffy about giving away their credit cards to some of the offers that are shown in freepsps.com
I was wondering if I'd still get the credit if I went out, bought a pre-paid credit card, and paid for all their offer costs.

And also, I did the Buyer's Advantage (Circuit City $20 gift card offer), filled out the form, etc... Then when I clicked on the offer link again, it said "Offer unavailable, please try another" This was like a minute after I did it. I clicked on it because I needed to see the pop-up which got blocked the first time around, but I couldn't see it after. All that came up was that white page with that message. Will I still get the credit?

Thanks for any help in advance.

ipodguy89

01-04-2005 16:14:34

[quote15f43e4c21="oddyrock"]A lot of my friends are a little iffy about giving away their credit cards to some of the offers that are shown in freepsps.com
I was wondering if I'd still get the credit if I went out, bought a pre-paid credit card, and paid for all their offer costs.

And also, I did the Buyer's Advantage (Circuit City $20 gift card offer), filled out the form, etc... Then when I clicked on the offer link again, it said "Offer unavailable, please try another" This was like a minute after I did it. I clicked on it because I needed to see the pop-up which got blocked the first time around, but I couldn't see it after. All that came up was that white page with that message. Will I still get the credit?

Thanks for any help in advance.[/quote15f43e4c21]

Yea that happened for me on freeipods a while ago, and I got credit, except it was with complete homes.

Prepaid cards work great. If you dont have enough to pay for something, it wont let you and they are just really easy to use online.

Just beware that some offers hold temp. money on your card, and may take up most of the money you can spend for that time. It usually comes back in like 7 days though.

Ive personally used about $80 in prepaid cards so far so yea, I recommend them.

oddyrock

01-04-2005 16:47:29

Thanks for the help.
What do you mean by "complete homes" though?

TiVoGal

01-04-2005 17:14:20

Keep in mind using pre-paid cards is one of the reasons cited by advertisers on other sites as the reason they will no longer work with Gratis type companies.

jhennson

01-04-2005 22:03:43

they work great if u dont trust the site....but all of gratis offers are legit

slease

01-04-2005 22:54:10

Some card like Citi cards let you generate virtual one time use card numbers for websites. Might be something to check out. I've never used the feature myself but it sounds pretty cool.

chillywilly

02-04-2005 20:02:30

[quoted91e4f04da="TiVoGal"]Keep in mind using pre-paid cards is one of the reasons cited by advertisers on other sites as the reason they will no longer work with Gratis type companies.[/quoted91e4f04da]
Personally, I like the protection of NOT being overcharged with a pre-paid card.

I did two offers last year where my credit card company "allowed" a charge from one of the companies I signed up with, which was before my trial period was up. I was considering keeping one of the offers, but called them up and bitched them out for charging me for the full order before my trial period was up. All I had to do was send back the product they "accidently" sent me and they credited my card.

But that took almost 4 weeks before the credit made it on my card and it was one that almost maxed out. So when the charge went through, it put me over my limit and I got charged a $29 overlimit fee.

The credit card company reversed that fee, but basically told me that because I had charged enough on the card, that they figured I was good for it. I told them that I didn't appreciate them wanting to make $29 off me when I didn't have it to give in the first place.

So... with all that... my point is that even though I have real credit cards, I'd much rather use pre-paid cards for offers because I know some of them are sneaky enough to charge a real credit card, hoping to get the charge and hoping I'll just let it go. A lot of these offer companies make some serious cash this way.

ipodguy89

02-04-2005 20:08:51

[quote85a0ecbd43="chillywilly"][quote85a0ecbd43="TiVoGal"]Keep in mind using pre-paid cards is one of the reasons cited by advertisers on other sites as the reason they will no longer work with Gratis type companies.[/quote85a0ecbd43]
Personally, I like the protection of NOT being overcharged with a pre-paid card.

I did two offers last year where my credit card company "allowed" a charge from one of the companies I signed up with, which was before my trial period was up. I was considering keeping one of the offers, but called them up and bitched them out for charging me for the full order before my trial period was up. All I had to do was send back the product they "accidently" sent me and they credited my card.

But that took almost 4 weeks before the credit made it on my card and it was one that almost maxed out. So when the charge went through, it put me over my limit and I got charged a $29 overlimit fee.

The credit card company reversed that fee, but basically told me that because I had charged enough on the card, that they figured I was good for it. I told them that I didn't appreciate them wanting to make $29 off me when I didn't have it to give in the first place.

So... with all that... my point is that even though I have real credit cards, I'd much rather use pre-paid cards for offers because I know some of them are sneaky enough to charge a real credit card, hoping to get the charge and hoping I'll just let it go. A lot of these offer companies make some serious cash this way.[/quote85a0ecbd43]

Exactly, I dont want to be charged more than what I intend to try for a site, and if I cancel my free trial (which I do anyways) they should never have to bill me more than I pay.

I have like 4 $25 cards that I have used and I cant say enough good things about them when using them online, (however I have had trouble with using them in stores)

Tremonti

03-04-2005 05:03:20

where do you get a prepaid credit card from?
is there anywhere online you can get one?

chillywilly

03-04-2005 07:50:53

webcertificate.com

You have to have a real credit card to put money on them (or know someone with a card)

Locally, you could find a place that sells pre-paid cards. Try greendotonline.com they give locations where you can go to get one using cash to load money on them.