Tech Question

Live forum: http://forum.freeipodguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=1042

river_rat

02-10-2004 14:24:29

Currently most of my friends that i have are willing to signup, but dont want to use their credit cards, so i told them that i will use mine for theirs.

Will i get put on hold for this?

i emailed the freeipods people and said that when i signed up for an offer, it would be able to tell if i can or cant do this..

any insight please?

Cheers,
Michael

Phbs83

02-10-2004 14:26:06

You`ll definitely be put on hold, don`t even bother trying - Gratis will decide that you`re cheating.

river_rat

02-10-2004 14:30:08

are you completely sure of this? i mean i am legitimate here, but my friends think it is a scam, but damn man it isnt. this is the only way, i can not do it any other way.. so am i just shit out of luck then?

Phbs83

02-10-2004 14:32:29

I`m more than absolutely sure) If that was the case, EVERYONE would have already ordered their Ipods ) Come on, they`re not stupid at all. And they are really strict about stuff like that.

maestro

02-10-2004 14:34:19

Don't do it.

EatChex89

02-10-2004 16:06:12

they wouldn't know... unless they inquired the advertising companies...

but to be safe, dont' do it. just in case wink

Phbs83

02-10-2004 16:11:12

I think they have many anti-cheat systems. And this is simply a cheat - if it was that easy to do it, I`d buy prepaid credit cards, and then order my Ipod/Handbag/PC/FlatScreen. I repeat, they are NOT stupid) And the credit-system should work like it - they check whether you have completed the offer with them (probably by name/e-mail/address). And having several people using the same credit card is definitely raising the red flag for cheats)

ldsguy

02-10-2004 16:14:00

aka, this idea sounds too good to actually work. Kind of like freeipods.com itself. Haha

Ace

02-10-2004 16:24:48

y not go ahead and do it, you've got nothing to lose

if u don't u won't be able to do it anyways

hacktek

02-10-2004 16:26:12

A friend did it and got put on hold immediately after submission so it's not gonna be different for you

J2Duncan

02-10-2004 18:11:50

yeah this is not a good idea, Gratis has been doing this to long to not identify this. and besides if you look in the freeipod rules i think you will find that this can be put under walking someone through, which is totally against the rules. And you would be doing this blatantly.

Rush

02-10-2004 23:04:28

???????

EliteABombAZ

03-10-2004 09:10:35

Actually... think about it.... as long as your at HIS house on HIS computer... and he signed up on THAT one... there will be no red flags for Gratis...

They have
Different Names
Different Home addresses
Different IP addresses

As long as the above list is true for you.... you are OK!

Once he clicks on the advertisement offer... he gets REDIRECTED to an entirely new webpage owned by a different company. All of those companies have strict privacy policies regaurding information... ESPECIALLY when it comes to credit cards. Those companies CAN NOT and simply WILL NOT share that info with Gratis. I say go for it. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN. I know people who have used their card for other people.

PallarAndersVisa

03-10-2004 09:45:51

i agree with eliteabombaz

MusicMan

03-10-2004 10:18:59

They're not just being redirected to another site to complete an offer...they're being passed throug to it. Having said that, there's no reason the affiliate companies can't dispatch an email to Gratis upon completion of an offer, or store the order information in a database which Gratis can use to cross-check.

The fact of the matter is...it's been mentioned that people doing this have immediately gotten placed on hold. That should be enough reason not to risk it.

river_rat

03-10-2004 10:20:28

- EliteABombAZ

That is what i was thinking, but i figured i would ask here because i thought this issue would have been brought up MANY times, but i guess it really has not. I figured more people would have a problem with convincing people that this is legit, and to prove it, let them figure out a vendor they believe would be useful to them and i will pay for it for them.

i just dont want to get put on hold, because i was to get put on hold, then i cant do it

anybody know 100% for sure?

EliteABombAZ

03-10-2004 10:44:19

[quoted1252078e2="river_rat"]anybody know 100% for sure?[/quoted1252078e2]

I really don't think anyone can know with 100% certainty. But about with the other guy said....

Why would the advertisers care to give PERSONAL INFO about their customers to Gratis? They are paying Gratis money to get new customers via affiliate programs. Any company can sign up to be an AOL, Ancestry, Ebay, Rhapsody, Infone affiliate. If CNN.com has an advertisment for Infone on their website, does CNN have the right to say "We want all of the Credit card numbers and names of people who signed up through us!" ? No... CNN has no right to that information... and Infone wouldn't share it.I am not sure if there are any laws protecting this info... but it would be Infone's reputation on the line. No one is gonna give their credit card to Infone if Infone is gonna give it to any company who asks for it. Also... please don't come back with "But Gratis has a lot of money riding on these Ipods...yada yada." These referral sites that Gratis runs is THEIR gamble... and I doubt AOL, Ancestry, Infone...ect could give a crap about how many Ipods Gratis gives away.

mehul

03-10-2004 11:30:30

The ELiz guy is correct ... if they have different ips and you go over to his house and you use your cerdit card its fine. Gratis cant call up the company and ask what was the cerdit card number they used. That would be illegal in privacy laws ! D

Relik

03-10-2004 11:36:26

If I was a Mod I'd lock this thread, Using your credit card for anyone besides yourself is FRAUD, and it is against Gratis' rules...

Being against Gratis' rules should be enough to not get you to do it, because if you get caught, that's it bro D

=relik

EliteABombAZ

03-10-2004 11:42:53

[quote563fe87218="Relik"]Using your credit card for anyone besides yourself is FRAUD[/quote563fe87218]

I was under the impression that my money was MY MONEY. If I wanted to buy a Video Professor CD for a friend why can't I? I could just lend him my credit card so he can buy it...and hell... he might as well get freeIpod credit for buying it.... seing how he was genuinely interested in Video Professor.

river_rat

03-10-2004 12:08:10

[quotea74c09afb0="Relik"]If I was a Mod I'd lock this thread, Using your credit card for anyone besides yourself is FRAUD, and it is against Gratis' rules...

Being against Gratis' rules should be enough to not get you to do it, because if you get caught, that's it bro D

=relik[/quotea74c09afb0]

My friend is genuinely interested in an offer, but because he is hindered at buying stuff over the internet, i told him i would be willing to use my credit card, THUS we are not fraudulent, we are being completely honest.

I am just trying to find out that before i do this, i don't want Gratis to put my account on hold and never release the hold even though i am being completely honest.

just trying to find out the actual Gratis ruling on this technical question

xyclonez

03-10-2004 12:12:37

Gratis makes money off of unique users. So if they are not paid for your referral signup they will know that your referral was not unique.

Relik

03-10-2004 12:17:33

[quote63bb808090="EliteABombAZ"][quote63bb808090="Relik"]Using your credit card for anyone besides yourself is FRAUD[/quote63bb808090]

I was under the impression that my money was MY MONEY. If I wanted to buy a Video Professor CD for a friend why can't I? I could just lend him my credit card so he can buy it...and hell... he might as well get freeIpod credit for buying it.... seing how he was genuinely interested in Video Professor.[/quote63bb808090]

I guess I wrote that wrong, let me rephrase Going to a friends house and letting him use your credit card, whether you help him or not, is Frowned upon by Gratis, they want all referrals to be unique, meaning no help from anyone.

Edit Also, your money is Your Money, but Gratis probably wants their users to use Their money, so if you want to buy your friend a video professor cd, the by all means do so, but I don't think Gratis wants you over at their house letting them use your credit card, thats all im saying, I think they want them to find an offer on their own, and use their money. I'm just tryint to help this guy out that asked the question, the answer is Yes you will be put on hold, if gratis catches you, but why would you want to take that chance?

Hope that helped D
=relik

river_rat

03-10-2004 12:41:23

Oh, I am just trying to asses what Gratis/you guys think will happen. I guess now i must just further try to convince my friend that he just needs to use his card. I am not telling him what to do and such, he did this all his own but told me that he doesn't want to do it now because of the credit card issue, so i offered him my card, but realized this could be frowned upon by Gratis so figured id ask you guys.

xyclonez

03-10-2004 12:45:28

tell him to buy a webcert
http//webcertificate.com

Relik

03-10-2004 12:45:43

Well, I wasn't trying to come across as a jackass hehe, and I don't work for Gratis, but that's my opinion, so I hope it helps.

=relik

Greg

03-10-2004 12:47:50

what? you can use the same cc..... the companies cant give out u r cc #.....that would be illigal..........

xyclonez

03-10-2004 12:59:33

[quote6633cb958f="Greg"]what? you can use the same cc..... the companies cant give out u r cc #.....that would be illigal..........[/quote6633cb958f]

they don't give it out but gratis will notice that they arn't getting paid for your signups, that will mean the cc's are different

river_rat

03-10-2004 13:18:36

[quote9683fa4893="xyclonez"][quote9683fa4893="Greg"]what? you can use the same cc..... the companies cant give out u r cc #.....that would be illigal..........[/quote9683fa4893]

they don't give it out but gratis will notice that they arn't getting paid for your signups, that will mean the cc's are different[/quote9683fa4893]

but is that assuming that Gratis would not get paid if it is the same vendor, because that vendor would notice it is the same CC #, there for not a unique person.

You see my friend is not even doing the same vendor i want, he is actually interested in a different offer, so that is why i am still not understanding.

xyclonez

03-10-2004 13:25:57

[quote1443ba6fac="river_rat"][quote1443ba6fac="xyclonez"][quote1443ba6fac="Greg"]what? you can use the same cc..... the companies cant give out u r cc #.....that would be illigal..........[/quote1443ba6fac]

they don't give it out but gratis will notice that they arn't getting paid for your signups, that will mean the cc's are different[/quote1443ba6fac]

but is that assuming that Gratis would not get paid if it is the same vendor, because that vendor would notice it is the same CC #, there for not a unique person.

You see my friend is not even doing the same vendor i want, he is actually interested in a different offer, so that is why i am still no understanding.[/quote1443ba6fac]

i guess if u use a different offer they will still get paid and they might not put u on hold. im just guessing so im not positive

river_rat

04-10-2004 12:57:32

Any technical people from Gratis know details/solution of my problem?

spectrum5ten

08-11-2004 16:13:11

ok i know this is an old topic but i think we need more information here about webcertificates..

can i buy webcertificates for 5 of my friends and give them out on the condition that they sign up for my referral link, or is this against the rules? i just want an easier way to get people to sign up because everyone is parinoid about online credit card purchaces.

barhoc11

08-11-2004 16:59:18

[quote64a1217ebf="river_rat"]Oh, I am just trying to asses what Gratis/you guys think will happen. I guess now i must just further try to convince my friend that he just needs to use his card. I am not telling him what to do and such, he did this all his own but told me that he doesn't want to do it now because of the credit card issue, so i offered him my card, but realized this could be frowned upon by Gratis so figured id ask you guys.[/quote64a1217ebf]

You said Asses, haha.

danetix

08-11-2004 17:02:09

[quote75302c59eb="barhoc11"][quote75302c59eb="river_rat"]Oh, I am just trying to asses what Gratis/you guys think will happen. I guess now i must just further try to convince my friend that he just needs to use his card. I am not telling him what to do and such, he did this all his own but told me that he doesn't want to do it now because of the credit card issue, so i offered him my card, but realized this could be frowned upon by Gratis so figured id ask you guys.[/quote75302c59eb]

You said Asses, haha.[/quote75302c59eb]

..... roll